Had to laugh at CA's letter

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by connorw, Sep 20, 2003.

1. connorw

connorw Well-Known Member

I picked up th email this afternoon and there was one for my girlfriend, two RR' for me :)

I knew the girlfriend's was going to be from a CA. She opened it and confirmed it was from a CA then went to toss it in the trash. I got it, looked at it started laughing. "Dumb Ducks" well it rhymed with ducks anyway.

For your ammusement is the letter:

Business Revenue Systems, Inc
    PO Box 8986
    Fort Wayne, Indiana 4698

My gf
    my address
    city, CO xxxxx

Our Acc #...........: xxxxxxx
    Creditor..............: Creditor's name
    Amount..............: $538.00
    Interest..............: $21.11
    Amount Due Today: $559.11

******IMPORTANT NOTICE******

Dear gf's name:

Our Agency has been asked to collect your overdue account (s). Upon our next monthly reporting cycle, we will update national credit bureaus with the status of your account (s)

If you want to prevent this update, please remit the balance in full to:

BRS
    P O....
    Fort ......
    Toll free

Please include your account number on your check or money order for proper crediting.

Thank you for your attention on this matter.

We accept Master Card, Visa and Discover credit cards.

This is an attempt to collect a debt and any information obtained will be used for that purpose
    This communication is from a debt collection agency.

Man these people are dumb. Not a clue at all. I needed a good laugh and they provided it. If the rest of their actions are like this my girlfriend will be able to pay off her car early :)

No list of rights. No link to the website of the Colorado AGO, Collection Agency Board's website as required. Not licensed in the state of Colorado.

I fired up a letter requesting validation, and also pointed out that their letter was in violation of one or more of the FDCPA, FCRA and the Colorado FDCPA, each with civil penalties of up to $1000.

I told my girlfriend wait for the next letter, go through the motions then call PrePaid Legal and have them send a demand for whatever the total is, etc.

2. connorw

Just rechecked them, using a slightly different naem they are licensed in Colorado. Oh well, just one less violation.

3. Flyingifr

Flyingifr Well-Known Member

No, add that violation back.

FDCPA 807 (14) (15 USC 1962e):

"A debt collector may not use any false, deceptive, or misleading representation or means of communication with the collection of any debt. Without limiting the general application of the foregoing, the following conduct is a violation of this section.....

(14) The use of ANY BUSINESS, COMPANY, OR ORGANIZATION NAME OTHER THAN THE TRUE NAME of the debt collector's business, company or organization."

Now, in Colorado their true name is what is registered with the State iof Colorado. Their "slightly different" name is the violation.

4. Flyingifr

Flyingifr Well-Known Member

Re: Re: Had to laugh at CA's letter

Just to clarify - it's the difference between "General Motors" and "Genital Motors". Which one makes cars and which one just dicks you around?

5. connorw

Re: Re: Had to laugh at CA's letter

True. It was late when I checked it. I think the only time they can use an "alias" is if their legal name is something like "ABC Collection Agency", then they would have to change the name on the envelope or leave blank so that the envelope is not obviously from a CA.