Hard and Soft Inquiries

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by Shantel, Jun 4, 2001.

1. Shantel

Shantel Well-Known Member

How do I get hard inquiries to turn into soft ones? I have 4 or 5 inquiries that are showing up on my CR that I actually received accounts for and they are still listed as hard inquiries.

2. GEORGE

GEORGE Well-Known Member

A "HARD" inquiries stay on for 2 years.
    A "SOFT" inquiry for 1 year.

I have never heard of changing a "HARD" to "SOFT" when the card is issued...

3. Surphie

Surphie Well-Known Member

Hard inquiries are ones you initiated by filling out credit applications. Never heard of changing a "Hard" to "Soft" inquiry either. If you are not applying for new credit, a few inquiries won't ruin your file.

good luck!

4. GEORGE

GEORGE Well-Known Member

YOU CAN CHANGE A "HARD" TO A "SOFT" if you already have the card and you ask for a credit line increase with a "SOFT" and they do a "HARD"...you can throw a "HISSY FIT" they will change it to a "SOFT"...sometimes...

WHEN I ASK FOR A CREDIT LINE INCREASE...I SAY CONDITIONAL ON NO CREDIT REPORT...OR FORGET IT!!!

5. Surphie

Surphie Well-Known Member

Yeah.

Soft inquiries are from companies that want to send out preapproved credit-card offers or current creditors who are monitoring your account.

6. Shantel

I understand what you guys are saying, but previously I'd read here that once you are extended credit by the creditor, your inquiry turns into a soft one.

Now whoever said this, please speak up because I KNOW that I'm not going crazy.

7. judyputy

judyputy Well-Known Member

SORRY, NEVER HEARD THAT

8. GEORGE

GEORGE Well-Known Member

PROBABLY SOMEONE WHO IS GONE...

9. Shantel

George,

That figures :)

10. MistyEyed

MistyEyed Well-Known Member

Hey wasn't there someone who posted awhile back about how you can put a block on your report from people pulling your file without permission? Im just curious if this is possible? I have had 5 hard inquiries on my report in the past year and I have no idea even who the company was, it would be nice to block them

MistyEyed