Harder to get: AMEX Blue or Go

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by Flman, Sep 30, 2000.

1. Flman

Flman Guest

Which card would be harder to get: the AMEX Blue revolving card with the smart chip, or the AMEX Gold charge card.

I read that their charge cards are easier to obtain than credit cards, but how about between these two?

2. alison

alison Guest

RE: Harder to get: AMEX Blue o

The posts here say Blue.

3. Michael

Michael Guest

WRONG!

Gold and Plat. come with a minimum $5K limit blue doesn't!

4. ble103

ble103 Guest

I agree with michael on blue giving less then 5K.The reason why blue is harder to get is their interest rates being lower then the average.A.E. is competing with teired interest rates just like NEXTCARD internet visa.Your interest rate is based on your credit rating.It is not recommended for anyone to apply for this card that has some bad credit.

5. Jo

Jo Guest

WRONG! Gold and Platinum are charge cards! No limit.....

If you're talking Gold/Platinum Optima, minimum line is $2,000.

In either case, YOU're wrong, buddy!

6. Flman

Flman Guest

OK! I still feel like my question isn't answered.

We are talking about the chance of approval on Blue from American Express (their newest card with the smart chip) and the Gold CHARGE card with no pre-set spending limit.

I think the minimum income of Gold charge is 25K and Blue is 20K, but in my case, that's a non-issue. Again, I know AMEX credit cards (Optima Platinum, Optima, Blue) are harder than charge cards (Green/Gold/Platinum). But what about AMEX Blue vs. AMEX Gold?????

7. Michael

Michael Guest

NOW YOU'VE EXPLAINED IT PROPER

O.K. if your comparing the BLUE OPTIMA CARD "BLUE" Against a Gold AMEX CHARGE CARD then I think Blue may be a little bit harder.

Next time please pose your question better as there are both Gold and Plat. charge cards as well as Optima Cards!

8. AMEX  rep

AMEX rep Guest

WRONG!! we are talking about the Gold charge card, which is not a credit card and does NOT have a limit. Also, Gold and platinum cards do not come with 5K limits anymore. Many have reduced their limits to flood the market with platinum cards to those who may not have qualified for such limits. Blue's minum limit is 2K. I received a Citibank Platinum with 2K. My friend got a Citibank platinum with 1K!!!!!
    The income requirement for AMEX Blue and the Gold charge card are the same--20K. However, a pay in full account is easier to qualify for than a lending--thus gold is easier than blue.

9. AMEX  rep

AMEX rep Guest

RE: NOW YOU'VE EXPLAINED IT PR

Actually, Blue is not an "optima" card. The only "optima" card that bears that name is the optima platinum card and the classic optima card (blue and grey). Of course, optima only means lending, but AMEX dropped the term "optima" on all cards but those 2.

10. alison

alison Guest

You obviously did not read his question properly. The question was which are is easier to get. Don't jump to answer a question you have not fully read!

Alison

11. Flman

Flman Guest

Thanks for the insight!

12. alison

alison Guest

Back on 9/23, an Amex rep posted a message stating that a charge card (green, gold, platinum) would be easier to qualify than a credit card (blue or optima). Although both Optima and Blue have the same criteria Blue seems to be easier to get. I hope this answered your question.

And yes, your first post was perfectly understood.

13. susan hobb

susan hobb Guest

if it helps any, i was recently turned down by amex for a "blue" card because i didn't have two years of credit card payments on my credit report. they said that they (amex) don't look at mortgages, loan, car loan, and so on, but that they want to see at least two years of good payment history on other credit cards. since i have not had any other cards for years except my one visa, i was denied a "blue" card. BUT they DID say that i was welcome to apply for a regular amex green (charge card, not credit card) as they are easier to get. hope this helps. (oh, and the criteria they use for "blue" is also what they use for their optima card)

14. Flman

Flman Guest

Susan-

When you received your denial letter in the mail, what were the reasons listed?

15. me

me Well-Known Member

That's what I've been saying..

I've been saying all along that Blue is not an optima. It is a separate product. But people insisted on "correcting" me.

16. RichGuy

RichGuy Guest

Always Perfectly Clear

Flman's original question was explained perfectly. The second post was exactly the same as the first. You could have read either one and understood what the question was. Instead, you tried to argue about nothing.

And what's this about an Optima Gold card? I think you have some explaining to do yourself. This must have been a very stressful day for you. However, the stress was entirely self-imposed.