Has anyone ever got a new SS #

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by highside, Sep 25, 2001.

1. highside

highside Member

Has anyone here ever got a new SS# legaly. I am in the process of doing it now. I have turned in all the paperwork and proof that I have been a victim of creit fraud. I have heard it is still hard to get a new one. Has anyone ever tried to do this or succeded. Any info will be a great help.

2. roni

roni Well-Known Member

I guess it is too late, but I would strongly recommend AGAINST doing that. You're not actually getting a new social security number, you're getting a taxpayer id number. If you provide the new number as your ss# to any creditor or employer it is fraud.

3. RichGuy

RichGuy Well-Known Member

I would hope that you've turned all the paperwork in to the Social Security Administration. They are the ones who would legally issue you a new SS number. If someone else is handling it, it may be a scheme of dubious legality.

I'm not sure if you have to tell the CRA's that you have a new number. If you have good credit, then it may be advantageous to tell them. If not, you may have a chance to start over. They probably have ways to find out anyway, but don't tell them any more than you have to...

4. newstdt

newstdt Well-Known Member

I thought I saw on one of those 20/20 shows or Dateline or something that this is next to impossible! Can it be done??? (legally I mean?)

I know there are some good ID Theft websites out there. Have you checked them out?

5. dogman

dogman Well-Known Member

Hi guys!

IF IT IS credit fraud, you should not need a new SS# - it happened to my boss and they designate the fraud to the bureaus. He can only get new credit by verifying from his phone at his residence and IDing himself.

He also must always tell future creditors that they will find this on the reports.

He has great credit - it is ridiculous how he now goes through hell to get anything.

FYI - the credit agencies show how long the SS# has been on file, RichGuy!

It may not be noticed, but if the person is 45 and his SS# has been on file for a year, it would look strange.

cya - creditmama did not like my commentary LOL!
    dogman

6. MikeB

MikeB Banned

I know they want us to think it is...but how can it be CREDIT fraud when your S.S. has absolutely nothing to do with credit? Is there any mention of "credit" from the Social Security Administration? Just wondering....

7. curiouser

curiouser Well-Known Member

You can get a new SSN through the SSA, but it is exceptionally difficult to do so. I did get one five years ago because I was a victim of identity theft. However, it took me nearly eight years to convince the SSA that this was a necessary step. I am convinced they did it only because my name and SSN was being used by many undocumented workers to obtain employment -- thus it became an income tax problem as well as a credit problem.

If it is only affecting your credit (I know a big "only") a fraud alert should do the trick. I only had one company ignore the fraud alert and open an account (you guessed it, Cross Country Bank.)

Also changing my SSN did not wipe the slate clean. The credit bureaus cross referenced my name and address with the new SSN. My report shows both with the date of issuance on both and the notation that the first was deactivated by the SSA because of fraud. (I had the SSA send the letter.)

8. RichGuy

RichGuy Well-Known Member

Dogman,

I did notice "ss number issued between 19-- and 19--" on the latest report from Experian. Chilling.

It's too bad if, as you say, you have to notify creditors about a change. It would be nice to create a new identity. I continue to dream of legal ways (which may not exist) to avoid illegal surveillance by the credit reporting agencies.

9. monk

monk Active Member

From what I understand, it can be possible to get a completely new credit file, if in fact you do get a new ss#. In order for that to work, from what I understand, you must apply for credit in a different zip code then you have ever lived or applied for credit in the past, and you must not reference any previous credit accounts that you have had under the old number. If you ever violate those rules your two files will likely merge.

-monk

10. Tony V.

Tony V. Well-Known Member

in 97' applied for a MACY'S card with a totally different name and same SS# that was given to me by law......closed the account a year later....never was late and paid them in full.....to this day NOTHING shows on the 3 CRA'S.....

Tony Verrengino
    San Diego, CA