Have you heard....

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by mother2, Oct 25, 2001.

1. mother2

mother2 Well-Known Member

of someone claiming to be from Household Bank. The guy tried to get me to verify my ssn and cc # but I refused. He stated that my payment was late. I told him I mailed it about a week ago. He asked me how much and I told him. Then he claimed I needed to pay $10 more and if I would like to I can talke care of it over the phone. (You know the check by phone process) I told him I'd pay the extra tomorrow by calling directly. I did verify my address over the phone. (oops) Then I askd him his name and he told me but seem kind of hesitant. I just looked at my bill and I don't owe the amount he stated. Not even if I had a late fee. Hmmmm I think someone is trying to SCAM me.

Just be careful.

2. breeze

breeze Well-Known Member

Yikes!!! that is scarey!!

3. Debmac

Debmac Well-Known Member

FWIW...

Orchard *did* contact me by phone, after my payment was late due to them changing their online payment site, but she NEVER asked for my SSN and CC# for verification...

Scam.

Be really careful! That is horrible!

Deb @Mich St

4. dlo64

dlo64 Well-Known Member

I wonder if this is the same person that called my husband today while he was at work. I have noticed a number of "out of area" phone calls on my caller ID in the last two weeks. These calls come in during the day while I am at work and normally, I would have been at work when this call came in but decided to stay home today. It was a guy that called and asked for my husband and said he was from Household Bank. I am not on this account so he said he would call back tomorrow and would not talk to me. It was definitely one of those computer generated calls as I had to say "hello" a couple of times before he answered. I don't think he will be successful at getting a hold of my husband because he is not home during the day.

What is irritating is that Household does not have an 800 number, but I did just check his account info online and he is okay. So if anyone calls about being late or whatever, I know it is a scam.

BTW how is their online payment system? I see it is a free service. Does it work like the Cap 1 online payment system where the payment posts the next banking day? I would like to register, but am a little hesitant.

Thanks for the heads up.

5. Debmac

Debmac Well-Known Member

Actually neither Cap 1 or Orchard show up the next day (for my checking accounts).... they both take at least 2-3 days. Even my 1st Primier (I use the $5 phone deductin) takes a couple of days..

The only card I have that is next day is Get Smart/Providian. They don't play; that cash is deducted the next day!

Deb @ Mich St

6. breeze

breeze Well-Known Member

If someone else gets another call like this, asking for bank information, account numbers, etc, there is something you can try - under the TCPA (part of the consumer protection act), they are supposed to give you a toll-free number to call if you have questions about the phone call. If they don't volunteer to give you the number, ask for it, and see what they do.

Actually they are supposed to close the call with something like "if you have any questions about this call, our toll free number is XXX."