hazing...?

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by Diogenes, Apr 4, 2000.

1. Diogenes

Diogenes Guest

is there some sort of strange initiation rite on this board... by which any new poster is suspect...? i had responses to two posts of mine from yesterday. the first was signed BOB and the other was from GS. both accused me of being "john"... and of committing unspeakable acts with "rocco" <g>

would anyone care to enlighten me...?

2. Molly's mo

Molly's mo Guest

removing inquiries

I hope someone can give me some advise. Last year I was 'playing' on the internet. I was looking for home improvement loans and visited a few sites. I put my SS# in and several offeres came back to me,(I was n't really ready-just testing the waters)what I did n't realize is that my credit was run by several companiies,(The Money Store, Lending Tree, etc). As a result I have several inquiries. Most of them are showing up on Experian. If I contacted the CRA's and explained to them what I did, (it really was a stupid mistake)would they remove the inquiries or are they going to tell me to go fly a kite. Thanks!!

3. Bill

Bill Guest

If I remember correctly, John is an employee of Cross Country Bank (CCB), and is an adamant defender of their outrageous fees and policies.

Rocco is just a generic term they use for a loan shark. Which is what they are comparing CCBs policies to.

Anytime anyone is in defense of CCBs policies, the contributors to this board assume it's an employee of CCB. (With good reason when you read all of posts regarding CCBs conduct).

Don't take it personally, they're not "hazing " you.

4. MichaelOH

MichaelOH Guest

RE: removing inquiries

Mother,
    Good luck getting help on removing inquiries. I have queried the board several times on this matter, as late as last week. I received no or no helpful responses. This has been my limited experience disputing inquiries: First I disputed with the CRAs. I stated that I did not authorize these inquiries and demanded their removal. They all replied that as CRAs they merely report what they are told, that I should take the matter up with the source of the inquiry. They also explained that it hardly mattered whether I authorized these inquiries or not, they were permitted by the FCRA under the "permissable purposes" provisions. Well, I tried to find out from the board where to go from there but was unable to get any advice. It seems that there are 2 kinds of inquiries: one that is only included in the consumer's own credit report, it does not appear on the report that others access; and one that does appear on the report accessed by others. Obviously Mom, you and I are only concerned about the second type. But what is the difference between the 2? Is it that the authorized inquiries are of the public type and unauthorized are of the private type, or is there some other basis for classifying an inquiry? I don't know how to get an inquiry changed from the public to the private version, or how to remove an inquiry. So, the next thing I did was send out 19 dispute letters to all the sources of inquiries more than 3 mos old, with whom I was NOT doing business. I did not dispute the card issuers with whom I have an account. I sent them the same statement as before. The early returns are in. Guess what? They are telling me either: they they don't need my permission; or, they got my permission, but they don't need it anyway. So in the absence of any better advice I am simply going to write back that I expect the inquiry to be removed if they (the source) cannot furnish proof that I authorized the inquiry. And that I am forwarding a copy to the FTC and my Attorney General. If you should ever discover the proper way to attack inquiries, I, for one, will be delighted to hear it.
    > If I contacted the CRA's and explained to them what I did, (it really was a stupid mistake)would they remove the inquiries or are they going to tell me to go fly a kite.<

Dear Lady, if you will read this forum for just a few days you will realize your question is charmingly naive.

5. Kristi- Ca

Kristi- Ca Guest

Hi, Mike! You and I talked about this but I will post here so Mom can know the deal.

Inquries are only allowed under two circumstances.
    1) A current review of your credit by an existing creditor.

An existing creditor can review, from time to time, your credit reports to make sure you still qualify for their accounts. Those types are not seen by others and do not affect your score. Arguing those is moot. The creditor is simply reviewing your credit and the only time it would not be permissable is if you closed the account and they continued to review your credit.

2) Authorized Inquries by perspective creditors,lenders and employers.

This type must have your written permission to review your credit. This type is also the one that can affect your score given you do too many. If you argue this type to the bureaus, you will get no where. They do not handle inquiries. You must send a written request to the source asking for proof that you applied for services. They MUST reply back with any evidence of said proof. If they do not or cannot then it cannot remain. If they ignore you after you request proof then they are subject to violating the FCRA.

Perfect Example:
    I have a client with 39 inquiries. He is a small business owner and was not sure which ones he authorized. We wrote to each source and asked for proof. I rec'd back 11 that sent me a copy of the application where he authorized it and the others said they could not locate the app and quickly apologized and gave us written proof on their letterhead that they would remove them. I took those letters and mailed copies to the CRA. They were removed.

Hope this helps!
    Kristi
    Carreon & Assoc.

6. Grifter

Grifter Guest

Bill,
    Surprisingly, "Rocco" is not used as a generic term on this board. Rocco Abessinio is the CEO of Cross Country Bank/Applied Card Systems. The name may sound a little far-fetched, but it's true. I live in DE & most of us here know the names of these credit card CEOs better than state legislators.

7. Marianne O

Marianne O Guest

Yeah, I know what you mean. I responded to kathy regarding a computer and james asked me to forward my address. Weird!

8. J. Edgar

J. Edgar Well-Known Member

If one has submitted a written application containing and original signature that would seem to work best. What is one to do if the inquiry was generated as the result of a phone call (telemarketing) or from the internet (like e-loan's FICO score service) where there is no written signature, yet the inquirer will stubbornly not remove the inquiry? Persumably someone (i.e., ex-spouse) with just someone's SSN, name and address could rack up inquiries on someone's credit if they had some animus towards that person.

9. MichaelOH

MichaelOH Guest

Its Kristi to the Rescue! That is the single best explanation I have heard, and I have asked the question many times. Now I know I am on the right track. Thanks a whole bunch.

10. MichaelOH

MichaelOH Guest

I have wondered exactly the same thing myself J. It is my position that the creditor can do business through whatever medium they choose, they are still obligated to demonstrate that an inquiry was authorized. If they are using the phone or the net, I don't know how they are going to do it, it remains their problem however.

11. Kristi- Ca

Kristi- Ca Guest

In that instance, I would then go through fraud channels to prove the authorization.

There was a write up recently and I forget where I read it, but it said that a web site must provide more then "click here" to be able to prove they had permissable purpose. It must be obvious to the websurfer that they are in deed requesting a service that requires an inquiry. If it is not, then it won't hold water, as some web sites found out. It MUST be conspicuous. As for someone pretending to be you, well that goes back to the fraud issue,resolving it through an affidavit of fraud and involving your attorney general and the FTC if reasonable measures are not taken at your request for the fraudulent inquiry to be removed.

12. Kristi- Ca

Kristi- Ca Guest

Your Welcome Michael!
    :)

13. TMP

TMP Guest

I agree. You can't say you are for or against something without having the whole board want to kiss you or hunt you down. Then someone named "did you know" wrote down who I was and what address(next to your name on a message)I had. He either has no life or is really nosey.

14. GS

GS Guest

did you know was just informing everyone to
    the fact that you are a specific person,
    who champions CROOKS COUNTRY BANK'S way
    of screwing most of their customers. You
    need to grow up at get some help for your
    temper. At 22 you seem to know everything there is about the credit business. As
    someone told you earlier, just because CCB
    has treated you good SO FAR, doesn't mean
    they haven't screwed the MAJORITY of the
    people that have complained on this board.
    I know some of these people are probably
    at fault, but there are to many complaints
    about the same infractions for everybody
    to be wrong as you have stated in the past.
    You should start at the top of this board,
    and read everything about CCB, then keep a
    list of the # of complaints, and the # of
    positive posts. Then out of the positive
    posts subtract the ones from Joseph, John,
    & any other CCB employees. then subtract
    the positive from the negative and see how overwhelming the complaints are. Then look at the other banks and institutions and you
    will see that CCB by far and away is the most
    hated bank in the business. You can champion
    their cause all you want, (it's your right).
    But until you have seen first hand what CCB has done to some of these people, you need to quit telling them they are wrong and that CCB is a wonderful bank. You can say CCB
    has been wonderful to you and you like them.
    But never tell these people their full of
    s^&t when you have NO IDEA IN THE WORLD
    what CCB has done to them. And when and if you do tell these people there wrong and full
    of crap,there will be some of us behind you
    to remind you of this fact.

15. TMP

TMP Guest

For GS

GS, why does everyone think that I love CCB. All I am trying to say is that they never screwed me. I never said they weren't capable of foul play... I am just saying it hasn't happened to me and won't because I paid them in full a few days ago and everytime I call the # to them it says that they were paid. If you guys hate that's fine. Why don't you guys try doing a balance transfer so you don't have to worry about them anymore..may I suggest Nextcard or some other card that lets you transfer balances?

16. Steven Z

Steven Z Guest

RE: For those with bad credit

are few, and the worse the credit is the scarcer the options.

For those who insist on having an unsecured card Cross Country is debately the "easiest" one to get (Aspire is also mentioned but at a starting rate of 27% interest it is unacceptable to many and totally unavailable to those who live in states that cap the maximum interest rate allowed below that).

While I have always beseeched those who are being abused by CCB to transfer their card to "any card" even Providian (back in their bad days), the sad truth is there are a goodly percentage who either by virtue of bad credit, insufficient credit history or a inexplicably low credit score get turned down by Aria, Future Card, Orchard Bank even First Bank of Marin and are literally trapped at the bottom of the sub-prime credit heap in the clutches of a crooked, immoral company that knows its got a captive market.

As for Nextcard, you are obviously not aware that this is a PRIME CARD, and as such even a 30 day late 6 years and 11 months previous will most certainly get you disqualified and add yet another negative inquiry. Yes, there are exceptions and we've heard from them right here, but as for the 99.9% of the rest..

17. rc

rc Guest

RE: For GS

I had my account with ccb since mar99 and I haven't had any problems either. Maybe they have changed.

18. GS

GS Guest

We all hope that sometime in the future they
    change, but you haven't quite been there long enough. They try to not screw you until some time after you are upgraded to siver preferred. Then they know you are in so deep that you can't cancel and pay your account off at one time. So they have you where they want you. Granted they don't stick everyone,
    but a high percentage of people get ripped-
    off. I hope your one of the lucky ones.
    Good Luck

19. Bill

Bill Guest

Forgive me. I just couldn't believe that was a real person. :)

20. Meredith

Meredith Guest

I've had mine since March 99 as well and I am already suing them so...