HECHT'S DEPARTMENT STORE

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by BETSY, Jan 10, 2001.

1. BETSY

BETSY Guest

I AM CONFUSED. I HAVE THREE VISA'S(TWO OF THEM GOLD) AND ONE MC. (ALL OF THEM UNSECURED) AND I STILL CAN NOT GET APPROVED FOR A DEPARTMENT STORE. CAN SOMEONE PLEASE EXPLAIN THIS TO ME.

2. Cadillac408

Cadillac408 Well-Known Member

What were the reasons for your denial? Have you viewed your credit report? Maybe there's some negative info reporting.

3. roni

roni Well-Known Member

Betsy!

Let me start by saying welcome to the board. I have just one request from you at this point. CHILL OUT ON THE CAPS. Capital letters indicates that you are yelling. We are all eager to help you and answer your questions, but you dont have to scream at us to get our attention. Lol. Now for your question.

Having those nice visas and mastercards have nothing to do with your ability to obtain new credit. A few questions you might want to ask yourself is

1) Do you have any negative information on your credit report. This could be something as minor as late payments or charge offs, bankruptcy. How do you pay your accounts.

2) Have you checked your credit report to see what is on there. Maybe there is inaccurate info on your reports. You have to check all three major credit bureaus b/c you never know which reports creditors will pull to review you for credit. The big three are Experian, Equifax and Transunion.

3) How long have you had the cards. People new to credit may have a harder time. Hechts was my first card ever so maybe not for them but that is a factor none the less.

4) What are the balances on your cards compared to your income. Carrying balances too close or very close to the limits is just as bad as paying late sometimes.

Ok, that is enough for right now. Tell us alittle about your credit so we can really answer your question.

roni

4. BETSY

BETSY Guest

RE: Betsy!

Yes you are right roni, these are new cards that I have received within a year, but they are not maxed out and I do pay them on time. maybe it is because of the inquiries on my credit report. thanks for your help.

5. GEORGE

GEORGE Well-Known Member

RE: Betsy!

Try Penneys, Mervyns, Sears (From what I have been told the 5 minute quick applications are easier...and approved more often than a "mailed in application"
    And sometimes you get $$$ or %%% OFF.

6. Brandon

Brandon Guest

RE: Quick Applications in Stor

I have a little insight on the quick applications and there is are very good reasons they are approved more frequently than a mail in application. Here are just a couple: Generally they require positive id so you know who you have in the store. You can also speak to the applicant so you can clear up some of those nasty variations that linger on bureaus, such as different names, addresses, etc.

7. roni

roni Well-Known Member

that is bull.

roni

8. Brandon

Brandon Guest

Roni:
    I do hope that you are not saying what I said is bull because I know it to be a fact. I work for a major retail credit card issuer and if we can clear up the variations with the customer on the phone then they are approved, if we can't they are declined. Simple as that. When a person mails in an application you have no way of clearing them up so you decline and send a letter explaining why or a letter stating we need additional information. Then it is up to the customer to check his/her bureau and get that corrected. I can't say that to be fact for all retailers but I do know that the company I work for has a much higher approval rate over the phone on the quick applications in the stores because of these types of problems.