Help for my brother

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by Shantel, Mar 20, 2001.

  1. Shantel

    Shantel Well-Known Member

    As much as I've heard of this before, I never thought it would affect me or my family.

    My brother had his identify stolen. The person charged up $7k-8k worth of debt under his name. Now he's being sued by those companies and being harrassed by collectors.

    Anyone have any advise as to where he can start to get this cleaned up? I know traditionally speaking, people have had hard times getting info like this removed, but any help you can offer, I'd sure appreciate it!

  2. Saar

    Saar Banned

    He should:

    1. Contact the CRAs to place a fraud alert on his file, which will make it harder for the identity thief to get additional credit on his behalf or screw his credit even more.

    2. File a police report.

    3. Contact the Fraud Departments of the creditors involved, get the forms they use for "fraud statements" and sign it. He may need to get his signature notarized. When done, he should insist that the creditors take back his file from their collection agencies.

    4. Dispute all inaccuracies on his report as "not mine".


Share This Page