Help getting ready for Magistrate Trial

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by Firehawk, Jun 13, 2008.

1. woofer

woofer Well-Known Member

Yes I told you that he was BEAMER. It said so in the lsit I gave you on Mass debt collectors licenses.
    So who did you get for a lawyer?
    Did you meet with him/her?
    How much?
    Email me privately if you do not want to write it here as this can help someone else in the future, and we all have to help each other : )
    Woofer

2. Firehawk

Firehawk Member

I never could see that list you posted.. for some reason I can't open the file -if you want to send it to my email addy I did PM you with it.

Law Office of Paul A. LaRoche - met with him last night briefly to show him what I had so far... he was familiar with hubbard's reputation for seizing cars etc...

Don't have a definite price - but said the counter suit will cover his costs.

It's pretty much in my gf's hands now - I gave her all the info she needed - passed it to the lawyer - now its up to the two of them...

I gave her the option if you want it dead based on being time barred I'll write you an index card and thats all you gotta read... if you want it to be a big deal and try to counter - gotta get the lawyer cuz I'm not one... Probably wont even see any additional money even with a counter filed on it.. I know it'll get moved to a civil case by the lawyer but I'm sure hubbard will just settle out of court as he obviously knows the debt is time barred and was simply hoping to get a default judgment.

3. woofer

woofer Well-Known Member

Glad you got to speak to one of the lawyers I mentioned.
    Also good that the counter suit he said will cover his costs.
    While I do everything pro se, I do advise on getting a lawyer for most people as it takes a lot ot time and study to be able to go it alone.
    Just like you have found out : )
    Now it is in the lawyers hands.
    Don't forget about us now because your problem is over with.
    Stay and help and learn more, or make sure you pass on the good will : )
    Woofer

4. Firehawk

Firehawk Member

Well met again with the lawyer... brought all the info I could dig up on the POS and his Wife - there was some talk about getting a class action suit started against him... so we'll see what happens.. Starting off by moving the existing small claims court date to "1st session" and going Civil to get it before a real judge vs the magistrate. Should be fun.. I'll keep everyone posted.

5. woofer

woofer Well-Known Member

You must be a bit relieved though that you have a lawyer handling this, and the fact of a class actions suit mentioned ,means he is in your ball park : )

Woofer

6. Firehawk

Firehawk Member

Yeah as long as we get at least enough to cover his expenses I'll be relieved (I could've handled the SoL defense myself for free) - I'll be psyched if we come away really nailing the bastard to the wall and getting some additional funds.

7. woofer

woofer Well-Known Member

IMO I think even if YOU HAVE TO INCUR SOME EXPENSE, this was the way to go as it was not YOU but you GF that was going to have to go to court, and the fact that SHE has not come over here asking questions, means to me that she just does not want to deal with it.
    You are fortunate that the lawyer you went to did not want any UP FRONT money, as I have NEVER gotten one that would work on contingency at first.
    Maybe next time when YOU have a problem on a debt of YOURS you can go pro se...
    Not this time as I could see that it was not going to go the way you would have liked IMO.

Woofer

8. bumpylane

bumpylane New Member

so what was the outcome?

would you recommend using the same lawyer?

i just found this forum after doing a search for our friend Mr Hubbard. he is threatening to steal my car over a debt which is over eight years old. evidently there was a court date and judgment in his favor... one which i was never made aware.

9. Firehawk

Firehawk Member

So ya this turned into a huge mess for a while!!! Turns out when the debt was owned by whoever Hubbard bought it off of.. the gf (now my wife) made a payment on it... REAGING the debt... Translation she's screwed! However.... because we had already put the screws to Hubbard - playing serious hardball courtesy of our lawyer... even though HUBBARD himself pointed out the reaging date... A week later Hubbard settled out of court! covered all legal costs and closed the debt....

SO YES>>> the lawyer was definitely worth it... Had she not made a payment 3 years ago I didnt know about I could've swung the SoL defense.. but with something like that coming up to ruin everything it was nice to know we had hubbard shaking in his boots cuz our lawyer is cutthroat apparently... had him scared enough to settle even though we were at the point we were TOAST and going to have to pay the debt! Yay LaRoche!!!

10. bumpylane

bumpylane New Member

i am glad you are happy with the outcome. about what percentage of the original debt did you have to pay? and i wonder if hubbard would have settled without representation.

as it stands now, hubbard is trying to get some $3400 from me over a card which had a limit of only $1000dating back to late '99 early '00. the judgement i was not made aware of until now was in '03.

i feel that if i offer him $500 to go away, he would take it... regardless of who is legally right or wrong. i figure that is what i would spend on representation anyway and i would not have to tie up my time in meetings and courts.

11. Firehawk

Firehawk Member

Hubbard is no puss.. a jackarse yes.. but he wont settle on a judgement ...call the lawyer and tell him your situation.. he'll tell you flat out if you've got a chance to fight anything... judgements can't be overturned after I think 1 year... so the ruling is his to collect on when he sees fit is my understanding.. but i'm not a lawyer.. and its not the same scenario...so I dont know much about judgements....

A phone call never hurts...