HELP! I can'T open a bank acco

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by Robin, Jun 5, 2000.

1. Robin

Robin Guest

I have a huge problem. I cannot get a bank account and this is causing my life to be a living mess. I had my bank account at Southtrust for about 2yrs. when I was 19 & 20yrs. old. I had accidentally calculated my check book wrong and bounced a $20.00 check. Now 3 yrs. later it is paid but it is on a ChexSystem. No one will look at me at a bank because of this $20.00 mistake. I could understand if it was a $2,000 mistake, but I can't live a normal life because of this. I have even called SouthTrust's home office and nothing. I can't even get a credit card with out a bank account. Has anyone ever heard or delt with this problem? Please help!

2. spyguyjim

spyguyjim Guest

RE: HELP! I can'T open a bank

Go into a local bank or credit union with the letter you paid the account off, talk to the manager and explain the situation. Stay away from the big banks and try a small, locally-operated bank. They may put you on "probation" for a year or so and will close your account at the first sign of trouble.

Then go get the financial program Quicken and track your new account on it, and you can track your other finances.

If that still doesn't work, go to http://www.chexvictims.com and scan the web site for banks that open accounts for people in your situation.

3. Darlene

Darlene Guest

I recently had to deal with this myself, thats the problem with trying to grow up too fast I did the same thing when I was 18. Okay so now this year we (my husband and I ) tried to get a new account, the old one i had has been closed for several years. So when I called the home branch they couldnt find anything on me every one of there banks could find nothing of my account as if it never exsisted. So I called Chexsystems back and had to write to them every bit of info I had and knew and who I had talked to at the banks and since they couldnt find my account it was removed from my report. Now if the bank still has all your info, I would call chex systems back and ask them what you can do or ask the bank to take it off now that everything is paid. Hope something helped.

4. test

test Guest

test

5. sam

sam Well-Known Member

Credit unions like Lockheed federal etc are a lot more lenient than banks. You may only get a savings account (good for depositing check/atm'ing) but its a start. Too bad you waited so long. X.com used to hand out checking accounts and lines of credit like candy :( no more.

6. RITA

RITA Guest

I HAD THE SAME PROBLEM BUT NOT FOR TOO LONG. I HAD JUST STARTED WORKING FOR A CORPORATE COMPANY AND A COUPLE A DAYS LATER WE HAD A REPRESENTATIVE FROM A BANK (LA SALLE) IN OUR BUILDING SIGNING UP PEOPLE RIGHT ON THE SPOT FOR CHECKING ACCOUNTS. AND SHE WAS GIVING THEM THEIR BEGINNER CHECKS THERE ALSO. SO I APPROACHED HER AND SHE SIGNED ME UP. I'VE NOW BEEN WITH THIS BANK FOR 3 YEARS WITHOUT ANY PROBLEMS. IF YOU OPEN AN ACCOUT LIKE THIS, THEY DON'T HAVE THE MEANS OF CHECKING YOUR RECORD ON THE SPOT.