Help! I thought I settled...

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by SheriHoppe, Sep 28, 2003.

1. Hedwig

Hedwig Well-Known Member

I don't think the name matters. They can always get court records to show that you're the same person. If you want to keep it in your maiden name, go ahead.

Otherwise, sign it as "Sherri Maidenname now known as Sherri Marriedname."

I had to do a whole refinance signing every form that way. What a pain!!

2. SheriHoppe

SheriHoppe Well-Known Member

Thank you so much I will keep it as my maiden name, easier with their records showing it as is right now anywas.

Silly question, how much does it usually cost to send Registered Mail...and can they send Registered Mail to a PO Box?

3. Hedwig

Hedwig Well-Known Member

I'm not sure how much registered mail is, but I'd just use certified. Both give proof of delivery. Registered has to have recorded every person in the post office who touches the piece of mail. The only reason to use registered mail is if you're sending something of value.

Don't worry about not being able to read that signature. It's probably a clerk or a stamped signature to show it was received. The person who will answer you is not picking up the mail. As lbrown59 said, having the card is proof that they got it. The IRS and my state comptroller both use stamps for the signature and they are legal.

Both registered and certified can be sent to a PO Box. The PO will put a slip in the box and whoever collects the mail takes it to the counter and gets the certified or registered mail after they sign the card.

4. SheriHoppe

Excellent! I will go to the post office on Friday actually then to take care of this. I do have to call the other CA tonight to get their address, I really DONT want to have to do that, unless there is some place I can find their address online....

The only other information I have with the 1st CA is their name of WorldWide Asset Purchasing. Does anyone know how I can get ahold of their address without calling them, I'd rather not call them.

Thanks again for the info!

Sheri

5. SheriHoppe

Do I want to do this:

For an additional fee, you can request a copy of the signature record before or after delivery with Return Receipt.

I got that from the USPS's website on information regarding Certified Mail. Its only $2.30 to send a letter with Certified Mail so its cheap compared to this crap I am dealing with.

6. Hedwig

Hedwig Well-Known Member

I'd try their website or maybe the office in your state that deals with collection agencies. In many states they have to be licensed, so they'd be listed there.

I don't know what office it is, maybe someone here can help.

Or, maybe start a new thread with the title "Anyone have the address for (name of agency)."

7. SheriHoppe

Ok..on the back of the form I recieved from CA 2, they have for WISCONSIN:

This agency is licensed by the office of Secretary of Financial Institutions.....

Should I contact them possibly regarding CA 1?

Thanks!

Sheri

8. Hedwig

Hedwig Well-Known Member

Sounds like a good place to start. If they don't have the information, they may be able to tell you who does.

9. SheriHoppe

Thank you for ALL of your help. I really appreciate it!

I started a new thread on this, I figure as long as for now I get the Validation letter sent out to CA 2 I am ok...and if it takes a bit to get the letter sent out for #1 thats ok, because #2 right now is handling this fully.

Thanks so much again.

10. lbrown59

lbrown59 Well-Known Member

Re: Re: Help! I thought I settled...

1*In general when an account goes to a CA if someone were to send a validation letter how often can these CA prove they have right to collect on these debts?

2*Also...if I have an account for $250 that is past due (I know I may as well pay it) would it be better to send a Validation letter out or to just pay the ammount in small monthly installments?
    Sheri
    =================
    1*95 to 99 percent of the time a ca can not validate,

2*A paid collection is just as bad a hit on your report as an unpaid one. It will stay on your report for seven 7 years. This can cause you to get overcharged on insurance and loans for the next 7 years.
    Never Pay A CA.

THE END ** *** ** LB 59
    """"```--~~~~~~~~~--```'

[ ""'''UOTE]Originally posted by SheriHoppe
    I have a few more questions and I am sure someone can help clarify some things for me...

After getting more aquainted with this board and looking over other posts, I want to see if I am getting the hang of the "validations" and everything, please feel free to let me know if I am way off base on any of this.

(keep in mind I am VERY new to this)

So what I get from other posts is....I need to send out validation letters to these CA's that are calling/mailing things to me to clear my accounts for them to PROVE to me that they indeed have the right to be collecting payment from me for these accounts. Correct?

If they cannot prove that they have legal right to be handling these accounts they MUST clear my record of these and cannot collect payment? (here is where I might be way off).

Now if they cannot prove that they have these for a reason do they just get taken off of my report?

In general when an account goes to a CA if someone were to send a validation letter how often can these CA prove they have right to collect on these debts?

Also...if I have an account for $250 that is past due (I know I may as well pay it) would it be better to send a Validation letter out or to just pay the ammount in small monthly installments?

Thanks and sorry for the length.

Sheri
    [/QUOTE]

11. pnwman

pnwman Well-Known Member

Re: Re: Help! I thought I settled...

Hi Sheri

It is likely your CR will show unpaid collection or settled or paid in settlement. The latter 2 are legally accurate. As far as credit scoring they are just slightly better than the original unpaid collection.

My guess is the second CA has already sold the account to the third CA. Never the less, the validation letter is a good idea. It is their job to prove you owe the debt not your job to prove you don't.

You definately want to send the validation letter to the third CA.