Help me help my mom, please

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by NanaC, May 9, 2001.

1. NanaC

NanaC Well-Known Member

Hi, everyone! Can you all help me help my mom??

We just got her score on Equifax..it is 702. She has nothing negative except one 30 day late that is old. (It is inaccurate..she would rather cut off her arm than be late, bless her heart)..

Anyway, her one problem is her debt ratio. She also has credit cards with higher interest charges. I've heard lots of talk about the possibilities for her with balance transfers.

What would you all recommend for her to get rid of her higher interest cards in balance transfers??

Would you recommend Nextcard? She actually closed her Chase, her Fleet, her American Express years ago.....should she consider those again?? Thanks so very much!!! She's out to dinner and I want to look smart when she returns so all help very much appreciated!

Thanks!

2. the other

the other Well-Known Member

NanaC,

I know people don't like Discover's 2 cycle billing, but they *aways* have a no fee balance transfer available for me. That is the only reason I keep there card.

I would also check Citibank, but often times they have a fee ( 3%, max $29), but the rate is usually lower than Discover's.

Chase only offered me a b.t. rate of 9.9 till paid, but my regular apr on the card is only prime +1.4, so that is lower than the 9.9. And the recently changed their policy and have a b.t. fee. i don't remember the %, but the max I think is $50.

I also have the Bank of America card with the 8.9 till paid offer, no b.t. fees.

MBNA always has good b.t. deals except that they just changed their policy to charge a fee too (I think it was the same as Citibank, but I can't remember)

The Optima Platinum also has an 8.9 till paid rate (check Amex's web page). I can't comment on this card personally because I don't have one.

Blue offers that 9.9 till paid rate.

None of my other cards have offered any good b.t. rates lately.

3. MikeB

MikeB Banned

Nextcard

4. Gregory

Gregory Well-Known Member

I would try Nextcard - they have great balance transfer rates!

5. NanaC

NanaC Well-Known Member

Wow! The other, Mike, Gregory: You all are wonderful and sure to make me appear smarter than the average kid..ahahah...

I can't thank you enough for taking the time...and you all feel her 702 will be o.k.????

Thanks!

6. Gregory

Gregory Well-Known Member

Although I cannot guarantee results ;-) I think that Nextcard would approve. Plus, with Nextcard, the more of a balance transfer I did, the higher the credit limit and I got the 9.9% ongoing APR.

GOOD LUCK and keep us posted on results!

Gregory

7. NanaC

NanaC Well-Known Member

Again, thank you all......I love this group..have I mentioned that??

8. miles

miles Well-Known Member

Make your mom proud. :)

Right now Chase is offering 2.9 for balance transfers and purchases for 6 months (for platinum). I don't think she will have a problem receiving the card. They have instant online approval. I have had no problems with them thus far. Good luck!

9. NanaC

NanaC Well-Known Member

Thank you, Sir Miles! :) She will be glad to have options! :)

10. Reshod

Reshod Well-Known Member

THE GM CARD IS EASY TO GET, HAS LOW, LOW BALANCE TRANSFER OFFERS FOR 6 BILLING CYCLES.

WWW.GMCARD.COM

11. NanaC

NanaC Well-Known Member

Thanks, Reshod!! You all are gonna make me look dazzling..teehee

12. Dani

Dani Well-Known Member

Discover just began charging for balance transfers it was effective May 1 or June 1 (I don't remember which). Being a customer I got one of their disclosures that they stuff in with your statement and hope you don't read it. A bummer though because I was going to transfer my Amex balance because the interest rate was cheaper.

Dani

13. the other

the other Well-Known Member

Dani, I always read my enclosures, but I don't remember that one, which monthly statement did you receive it with?

14. Dani

Dani Well-Known Member

the other me,

It came in my current statement, I received about 1-1/2 to 2 weeks ago. Also, included in the statement was Discover stating that they are ending the no payment due if you paid more than the minimum payment last month and the privacy disclosure act/opt out policy.

Dani