Help me remove Discover!!!

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by rmk1825, Jul 1, 2001.

1. rmk1825

rmk1825 Member

Hello,

I have a Discover card that was closed and charged off as bad debt on 02/95. I paid it off last month. Is there anything I can do to get this negative item off of my credit report? Can it be removed due to 7 years from from the 1st delinquency on the account?

Thanks!!!

2. sam

sam Well-Known Member

its my understanding its 7 years from the charge off or date of last activity is what most bureaus go by..

Dispute it, keep disputing it, it will eventually fall off..

as a matter of fact, a discover chargeoff just recently appeared on one of my reports, i have never even had a discover!! argh..

3. NanaC

NanaC Well-Known Member

I agree...dispute, dispute, dispute!

4. mj

mj Well-Known Member

It's 7 years from the date of the delinquency that eventually led to the charge-off... in other words, the first time you were past due that you never caught up from ....

For instance - you go 30-days late in 1/00 ... 60 in 2/00... 90 in 3/00 ... you pay it down to 30-days in 4/00... then go 60 in 5/00 .... the date of first delinquency is 1/00.

IF you paid it current in 4/00, then went 30 in 5/00... the date of first delinquency would be 4/00.

Discover is pretty sticky with details and facts. My partner had one charged off and I had to get it to go away for our mortgage ... I finally tracked down who owned the debt (it passed through 3 differenct companies) and we settled - the best I could get from Discover was for them to report a $0 balance (we didn't owe them anything anylonger - they sold it), R9/Chargeoff, and "sold to another lender". Since we settled with the other lender, the bank was OK with that.

Good luck-
    mj

5. Erica

Erica Well-Known Member

Since this debt is from before the new FCRA laws, doesn't the old laws apply for removal? I mean, they paid it off last month, thus resetting the date of last activity, correct?

6. MikeB

MikeB Banned

Very possible, Erica.
    Idiots should have made that Act retroactive. I wonder if George Bush can even pronounce "retroactive"? Haha.

7. Erica

Erica Well-Known Member

He might put an "e" after it like Dan Quayle did with Potato! Hehe

8. judyputy

judyputy Well-Known Member

That's very interesting Sam. I also had 2 discover tradelines appear on my report. Both positive, but I have never had a Discover EITHER!! Wonder if they just started slapping accounts from nowhere??

One line says sold/ transferred and the other says paid/closed. But they were for $1000 and I don't have anything lower than$5000. Makes me wonder what the hell is happeneing over at Discover.

9. Dani

Dani Well-Known Member

Discover has all three credit reports reporting my account as closed. The card is still open and I use it on a monthly basis so it surprised me when I pulled my report last month and noticed the account said "closed by consumer". I called Discover just to ask about it and she said my report could not be closed because it was still showing as an active account. Go figure. I don't know if this is helping my credit or not?

Dani