help! New at this

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by SPANKY23, Sep 22, 2003.

1. SPANKY23

SPANKY23 Active Member

HI, I am new to all of this dispute stuff with a credit report. I was reading about the Top 100 mistakes maid when repairing credit. It freaked me out!! Sorry if this gets long. I have 2 charged off accounts that I settled with the OC. I did it before I knew you could negotiate your credit rating. Can I have them changed or removed from my account. I also have a paid collection on my report that I want removed. I recently disputed some loan accounts that I had paid off but were still showing as open on my report. They closed them as paid, never late. Is this bad, should I have left them alone?? I appreciate any knowledge on this! Thank you much!!!

2. SPANKY23

SPANKY23 Active Member

PS! I forgot to add that I have a loan that has a very small balance that I am 60 days late on. (I know, it's a small balance and I'm late???) I want to pay it off but I want it reported as paid as agreed. Can I do this with an original creditor and if so how do I go about doing this? Thank you!

3. LKH

LKH Well-Known Member

I think you need to pay it before it gets any worse. Then send a goodwill letter asking them to remove the late pays. Do a search for goodwill letter.

BTW if it is such a small balance, why did you let it get to this point?

4. SPANKY23

SPANKY23 Active Member

I got laid off from my job. Before I got a new job, I was more worried about paying my utility bills and rent than an unsecured personal loan. I have the money to now pay it off but I want to negotiate how it is listed. Also, any thoughts on my first post? Thank you.

5. YUMMYCAKES

YUMMYCAKES Well-Known Member

bump

6. keepmine

keepmine Well-Known Member

I'd agree with LKH, pay it before it gets worse. Try a goodwill later. As time goes by, that 60 day late will have less and less impact. Don't let it get to 120 days late or worse.

7. SPANKY23

SPANKY23 Active Member

Hi, I just got back from the bank and paid this loan. What about the things I mentioned in my first post. How do I get rid of the settled accounts on my credit report? Thanks!!

8. LKH

LKH Well-Known Member

Re: Re: help! New at this

If you have a good relationship with the bank, I would go back to the bank in person and explain that you had been laid off and you did the best you could. Tell them the minute you had the money you went straight to the bank to pay it and that shows your honesty and that you wanted to do the correct thing. Then suggest that you really shouldn't be punished with a derogatory remark on your report for 7 years, especially considering how you ran to the bank to pay it as soon as you had the $$. Ask them to please remove the late pay as a goodwill gesture to a good customer. If they say no, ask them if they will agree to not verify it if you dispute it. You never know, you might find a kind soul there.

9. SPANKY23

SPANKY23 Active Member

Re: Re: help! New at this

Thanks! Does anyone know about the settled accounts? How can I get them off or at least say paid as agreed? Thanks!