Help! Should I apply?

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by Shirley, Aug 16, 2001.

1. Shirley

Shirley Well-Known Member

I am wanting very badly to apply for a Cap 1 Gold Visa card. I'm sure with my credit history I'll get the minimum but I don't care. I want to start rebuilding by using them for necessary things like holiday shopping and such.

I applied for a Kmart card about 3 weeks ago and got that card which is really a Cap 1 Mastercard in addition to being a Kmart card. There's a $300 limit for Kmart and $200 for regular Mastercard purchases.

Cap 1 did a hard inquiry for this card and I'm wondering if they will do another one for this application.

I used their Cardquest feature to see which card was best for me to apply for and one of the questions was:

What other major credit card do you have?

Platinum
    Gold or Classic
    No other card

Is this Kmart Cap 1 Mastercard considered a classic card? Does checking that off reduce the chance that they will pull a report again. Will they run me in their system first before pulling the report to see that I already have a Cap 1 card?

I'm hesitant to apply if it's going to result in another inquiry.

Thanks.

2. Debmac

Debmac Well-Known Member

I think the KMart card is considered Classic, but DON"T apply for another Cap 1 yet. I did within 30 days of getting my Cap1 Classic, and was denied.

Deb

3. Shirley

Shirley Well-Known Member

FYI:

I just called and spoke to a very nice lady at Cap 1. She said you have to wait 45 days before applying for another Cap 1 card and that each application will result in a hard inquiry.

4. ble103

ble103 Well-Known Member

The k-mart mastercard from capital one is a "co-branded card" not considered as a classic,gold,etc.