Help SOL Collections Student Loans

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by Camaro68rs, Jun 30, 2001.

1. Camaro68rs

Camaro68rs New Member

My credit report reflects 3 defaulted student loans thru Citibank. I have read that accounts not paid as agreed would be shown for 7 years. Does this apply to student loans taken thru Citibank ? 7 years from what time - date opened , date of last activity , or date reported ? The report also shows collection account thru NY Higher ED - thus my debt is being reported on 4 lines - 1 thru NYHES & 3 from Citibank - is this correct & legal to have the debt recorded twice - thru bank & now now thru collection agency. Can I dispute the 3 from Citibank as double listing ? account closed ? Please help regarding the double listing & SOL for student loans. I need to know when the SOL clock starts. The 1st I5 on the citibank loans is 09/95.

Thanks

2. godaddyo

godaddyo Well-Known Member

If you have never defaulted before. Call the US dept of Ed and ask about loan rehabilitation. This would be your best bet. Student loans will follow you forever. I have a friend who had perkins loans go into default. The companies that collect for these have been pretty good about negotiating for good credit marks. There is no SOL that I know of in regards to goeverment owed debts....