Help, think I am trying to be

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by Momof3, Oct 13, 2000.

1. Momof3

Momof3 Well-Known Member

Way back in 1989, I have a charge off from citibank, balance was like 800.00. I didn't start looking at my reports til last year, of course by then it was removed. Well today I get a letter from a company called Credit Trust, offering me a settlement on this debt of 2,427.00!!!!! ANyone I know they can't collect b/c of SOL and they can put this on my report right it is 11 years old. I just think they are trying to scare me and hoping I offer to pay. It states when I pay they will notify the CRA's that it is paid. It is not on any of them and hasn't been for the last 2 years.

2. Cadillac408

Cadillac408 Well-Known Member

RE: Help, think I am trying to

Then tell them to F*&% OFF? They are just trying to make a buck off of old debts by scaring people who don't know anything in regards to credit, old debts, etc. But you know about everything so you're o.k.!

So, bottom line: Just ignore! Better yet, contect them and start talking crazy. Tell them that you know your rights, blah blah blah. If they try to be a bunch of bad asses and add stuff on your report, etc. then sue the s*&% out of them! Plain and simple.

You have come way too far for some B.S. Credit Trust company to rain on your paraide!

3. Momof3

Momof3 Well-Known Member

Thanks MP, if not for these boards, I would have been scared to death an offered to pay, but of course I know better now. Do you think they caught my name because I was applying for a mortgage?? and that is how they trick people?? Thanks again I thought I was right, just wanted someone else to assure me of this:)

4. J. Edgar

J. Edgar Well-Known Member

I would write them a polite letter pointing out the facts:

The debt was charged off over 11 years ago. The creditor never made an attempt to secure a judgement. The debt is now beyond that statute of limitations for obtaining a judgement in every jurisdiction in the US.

Considering that the debt was charged off 11 years ago, any attempt to re-age it and place it on your credit report would be a fraudulent act and a violation for the FCRA and FDCPA.

If the collection agency makes any further attempts to collect his debt, which they know is not actionable in any fashion, that you will take legal action against them for a deliberate violation of the FCRA and FDCPA.

Inform the collection agency that you wish to have no further contact with them regarding this debt. Inform them that you monitor your credit reports very carefully and that if the place any information regarding this debt on your credit report, you will take the appropriate legal action against them.

This agency's technique appears to be something new that they've come up with. Trying to guilt-trip you into paying. The other trick they've been pulling is sending people letters "confirming your payment arrangements" regarding some ancient debt.

This is just another dishonest ploy used by slimy debt collectors. Don't fall for it.

5. Momof3

Momof3 Well-Known Member

Thanks JEdger, it state a smalll charge off, so therefore it isn't a judegment correct?? Just want to make sure, but I know it is not on my reports and hasn't been for many years. But I belive it is a charge off and not judgement and if it were a judgement it would have remained on my report correct?? You think they are trying this b/c I applied for mortgage.

6. Greg

Greg Guest

I had an old debt ('91) that is not showing on my credit report anymore. A company in Minneapolis called The Northland Group is trying to collect it. It is for 800.00 but the letter they sent me said they would settle for 1/2. Anyway, I ignored it - but guess what... I ordered my 3 credit reports and the Northland Group is listed as a "hard inquiry" 3 to 4 times on each report. I called the CRA's and each one told me that they could not do anything about an inquiry. Each CRA representative told me to contact the Northland Group and have the item removed if I did not initiate the inquiry. This seems to be a way these old debt vultures can harrass someone and get away with it because some people (like myself) are afraid to call them.

7. LillyP

LillyP Guest

Maybe it's Citibank

In a few of your previous post you talked about getting a Citibank card. Since your charge off was with Citibank, maybe they sent your old charge-off to a collection agency hoping to collect. So you have gotten a Citibank card even though you had a charge-off with them in 1989?

8. Momof3

Momof3 Well-Known Member

RE: Maybe it's Citibank

The card we got recently was for my hubby so don't think that triggered it, but yes i do have a citibank card, I have had it for a year or so never heard a thing from them. This letter is from credittrust and fortunately I know they are trying to scam me and I am not falling for it. I think my applying for a mortgage triggered it, they think they can scare people into paying an uncollectable debt and if they try to report this I will sue the Sh@t out of them.

9. Cadillac408

This is perfect!!!

Nice information J. Edgar! This is exactly what I'm talking about!

10. Cadillac408

What about the Black List?

I thought once you messed up w/ Citibank that you were on the so called "LIST"???

I see posts where people tried to pay them back and Citibank said, NOPE! Then referring them to the collection agency???

This is interesting.....

11. Momof3

Momof3 Well-Known Member

RE: What about the Black List?

I have no idea, I got my Citibank card last November with no problems, so I am not sure.

12. justme

justme Guest

I too got a message from the Northland Group regarding an old debt from 91/92. Ignore it. They are desperate and are trying o scare you into paying. The stuff is off my credit reports, and I just pulled them again to make sure and they're still off. You'll get more letters from them. The settlement offers will be for less and less.

13. Saar

Saar Banned

Inquiries made by collection agencies hurt your score far more than "regular" hard inquiries. They are coded in a way designed to do that.

Send them a letter saying they have 30 days to remove all these inquiries (since they had no "permissible purpose" under FCRA), or else you sue. Also state that complaints may be filed with the Attorney General (of the State where they operate) and the FTC.

Saar

14. roni

roni Well-Known Member

Saar you are correct.

Saar you are right on the money with that response. To the guy with the inquiry threaten to sue them is what you should do. And if they dont abide, sue and get paid.

15. roni

roni Well-Known Member

RE: Maybe it's Citibank

I dont think it has anything to do with citibank. This collection agency is scum who bought your debt for pennies on the dollar. Citibank wrote off this debt years ago. in other words, its not citibank internal collections here. Diss this scumsbags and move on. but follow jedgars advise though.

16. mba in Pit

mba in Pit Guest

Dear Mom of 3:

Keep getting updated credit reports on yourself. Do not be surprised to find that the same loan appears in the name of another creditor and that the 7 year period that this will appear on your credit report has started al over again. This happened to me with four separate accounts.

mba9999@aol.com
    October 13, 2000

17. mba in Pit

mba in Pit Guest

RE: Saar you are correct.

Hey, all of you: I sure hope that they send me letters and contact me. I have made a hobby of litigating with companies that pay a penny or less for a dollar of claim on a stale, old, written off account barred by the applicable statute of limitations. As for Creditrust, I hear that they are merging with Citifinancial so you may hear from Citifinancial on accounts that Creditrust was handling. I happened to litigate with Creditrust a few years ago, and as a result all consumers in my home state were helped by an opinion issued in that case. The opinion stated that consumers have the right to claim punitive damages in addition to that number which is the greater of three times the consiumer's actual damages or $100.00 under our state's consumer protection statute. You or your lawyers can find this opinion as it is reported at
    7 F. Supp 2d 589.

18. Momof3

Momof3 Well-Known Member

Thanks and I will. This was off my report by 1996, I can't believe this company is trying to collect this debt now . Do you think they will try to add this to my report after it has been off for 5 years?? I also sent them a letter that J Edgar supplied, so they will know that I know the laws. I stated I would sue them if they tried to report this, hopefully they will take the warning I gave.

19. J. Edgar

J. Edgar Well-Known Member

If it were a judgement, you would have been served with, or attempted to have been served court papers. It's probably just a charge off as most creditor won't try to obtain a judgement unless it's in the tens of thousands of dollars.

A judgement would have wound up on your credit report, but would have come off after a certain period of time, depending on it's nature.

I think they might be trying to collect now since by applying for a mortgage would indicate that you have some money or at least and asset to borrow against.

What ever you do, don't pay anything because then you will wind up with a paid charge off on your credit report for 7 years.