HELP!!! Verifying and account

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by gcv1sytl, Aug 8, 2001.

1. gcv1sytl

gcv1sytl Member

I have Atlanta Gas Light on my credit report and I have ask them to verify this is my account via an "Application". They sent me a letter stating "At this Time we are unable to assist you. We are in need of further information; you social security number and or account number."

My question is should I give them my SSN#?
    The only account number that I do have from them will be on the credit report. And, I belive that is a partial number. Deep down I know I should not give them my SSN# because I don't know what they would do with it. Help me with some suggestions please.

2. Lionel

Lionel Well-Known Member

that's a tough one. i'm sure many people on the board will say don't give them anything, but it's my opinion (and just an opinion) that if they requested further information to help fulfill your request, and you don't give it to them, they are not violating any reporting rules.

i can see the reluctance to give them the ssn, but the partial number may be of help. You didn't state if this was actually your account or not, so I don't know what you're trying to accomplish.

3. gcv1sytl

gcv1sytl Member

No this is not my account. I have family members with the same name. But, I will as least give them my last 6 digits of my ssn# and the account number on the report. But, even with that information they still should produce the application. I have done this to other items on the report and they sent all information needed.... Thanks for the info.

4. GEORGE

GEORGE Well-Known Member

JUST MY OPINION...DISPUTE IT..."not my account"...and make them PROVE it.

It is NOT your job to prove anything for them!!!

DON'T send any proof of anything, UNLESS they really NEED IT...they just say they need things, even if they don't...like EVERYBODY USING SS# 's AND WHEN YOU "CALL" THEM ON IT...They give you a "FAKE" number...they can't give everybody "FAKE" numbers???

5. Ender

Ender Well-Known Member

I would not give them your SS#.. it is up to them to provide the proof. That way you place the burden on them.. they should be able to find your info based on what is reported on your CR.. why should you give your info when it is on your report stated as is? If anything, highlight and make a copy of the item on your CR and send that to them..

6. Mist

Mist Well-Known Member

I think in this instance I would give them the last four digits of my SSN.

Mist

7. Lionel

Lionel Well-Known Member

okay, if it isn't your account, just give them the account #, and tell them you don't feel comfortable releasing your ssn at this time. a name and partial account number should be sufficient.

While I do agree with the other posters that they should be doing the verifying, they did ask for more info in order to help honor your request (and help themselves, no doubt). But in this day and age, what they have access to should be enough. No reason to blow the whole thing out of proportion.

8. Hal

Hal Well-Known Member

Your SSN is not an identification number, and you cannot be required to provide it for use as such.

I would insist they provide you proof that the debt is yours otherwise.

If you disputed the item, and they are telling you to prove who you are by your ssn they are wrong. If they don't know who you are, they should not report it on your credit file which has been tied to your ssn.

The use of the SSN as an identifying number has become typical, although it is in error.

The biggest problem with Utilities is that anyone can open an account simply by having your name, ssn etc. , without your knowledge, even if you do not live at the residence.

I would write them back, tell THEM to prove it and advise them if they do not you will begin by filing a complaint with the State Public Utilities Commission.

9. MikeB

MikeB Banned

Hal, according to the PUC in my state of TX (according to a letter from TXU), all they need is your name, social security number, and address to claim you have an obligation to pay them. No other proof is required. I got a chargeoff from them from a utility bill that was returned to them undeliverable.....(I left a forwarding address)
    I have disputed it 3 or 4 times, and now Experian refuses to dispute anymore.

10. Hal

Hal Well-Known Member

Is it a Texas utility or an Atlanta Utility. The PUC is different in each state. If it was in GA I would send a letter to the PUC there.

I went through a similar problem with Telephone Service in California. I got a similar response initially. I simply wrote several very angry letters, to the PUC, my state representative, the attorney general and the Governor's office. I got a response from each and in the end Pacific Bell reneged and deleted the account. Utilities get very nervous when you start involving politicians as they don't care for public scrutiny.

You could always go the lawsuit route, but I think with some well worded angry letters you will likely find a positive result.

11. MartysGirl

MartysGirl Well-Known Member

Ok... Been here done this...!!! Well ..My mother has.. I just asked the board for advice for her. If you would like to see the post. Run a search on "Should she Give here Social."

Anyway... My mother had a company send her a letter requesting her SS after sending a Validation letter. They claimed they wasn't sure they had the correct party. This is b/c the last names didn't match. That wad due to her getting married. But... IT still goes to show.. they really don't give a flip which credit report they had put it on.....!!!!

After posting on this board and receiving GREAT advice!! She wrote back denying their request for her SS. She copied her credit report for proof that it it was on her Credit report and Demanded Immediate Deletion.

2 make a long story short... They deleted it... With Out a SS!! They also sent an apology letter

hope this helps..... and Good Luck.. ;-)

MartysGirl

12. breeze

breeze Well-Known Member

I thin k I would have to say, "how did you put it on my credit report, then? You don't even know for sure who it is!"

breeze

13. GEORGE

GEORGE Well-Known Member

MY SOCIAL SECURITY CARD SAYS "FOR SOCIAL SECURITY AND INCOME TAX PURPOSES ONLY, NOT FOR ID"

14. MikeB

MikeB Banned

Try to tell that to credit card companies then........DENIED.

15. GEORGE

GEORGE Well-Known Member

They (CREDIT REPORTING AGENCIES, AND CREDIT CARD COMPANIES) have been given "access" for some reason...

I'm talking about "outside the credit system"...

See an accident..."what is your SS#"
    Insurance investigator calls for more details..."what is your SS#"
    Go to SAMS for membership..."what is your SS#"
    Register to vote..."what is your SS#"
    Take a COLLEGE CLASS..."what is your SS#"
    Get a license..."what is your SS#"

16. Hal

Hal Well-Known Member

You are right George, and that is my point. The SSN is expected to be provided as an identification number because over the generations we have ALLOWED it to become so. The Social Security Administration will tell you in no uncertain terms that it is not an identification number and was never intended as such.

While living in VA during my military service I went through this issue with their motor vehicle department. At that time in VA your SSN was used as your driver's license number - I refused to provide this based on the fact it was not an identification number - although I had to argue to the management level, they reneged and I got a license without my SSN number appearing.

It would take a great deal of consumer action to change the fact that our SSN has become accepted as an ID number. If enough basically refused to provide this, eventually over a decade or so, the creditors would realize they had to accept some other form of verifying information. It is just another example of how many in our society have become unaware of the impact of sharing our personal information.

17. GEORGE

GEORGE Well-Known Member

REPEAT...REPEAT...REPEAT...REPEAT...
    TELL A FRIEND...OR 50...

MY SOCIAL SECURITY CARD SAYS "FOR SOCIAL SECURITY AND INCOME TAX PURPOSES
    ONLY, NOT FOR ID"

18. kbelle72

kbelle72 Well-Known Member

A lot of universities are changing from the system of usingyour SSN as your ID number for this very reason.

19. lbrown59

lbrown59 Well-Known Member

Don't let them shoot you down with your ammo!Make em furnish their own

20. lbrown59

lbrown59 Well-Known Member

If you're required to present evidence against yourself why not send them a full confesion and let them nail you and get it over with?