help w/ AmEx??

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by Ender, Feb 9, 2001.

1. Ender

Ender Well-Known Member

Is AmEx willing to settle? My situation is that I had about a $14k debt with their Optima card about 4 yrs ago.. I haven't paid since and stopped hearing from them.

I also now have a corporate credit card and use about $4k/mo and pay that off fully. What can I do to help rebuild my credit? I am working on everything else as well.. but this is specifically regaarding my amex Optima.. because I heard AmEx never settles? I do want to take care of this debt, get off their blacklist and repair the damage on my credit report as well. Any advice? Thanks in advance..

2. Marie

Marie Well-Known Member

Can settle but still on blackl

I settled w/Amex for 40% but the account was at a collection company at the time.

If you settle the difference is on the blacklist. Amazing thing... my chargoff was from 1994 but the 1189 hadn't grown in interest so I am sending 1189 to Amex for the in full difference... and the interest stopped. Kindof an interesting situation if you think about it. If the account was lump-sum settled and then you went back a year or two and paid it off you get a free loan for a while (and your credit is already screwed anyway w/them.. so might as well get it screwed w/out interest). just a thought.