Help with default Student loan.

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by momstaken, Mar 17, 2009.

1. momstaken

momstaken New Member

Here's the deal. I took out student loans in 2003. There were 2 loans, both were aproximately 2,500 each. They have been in default a long time.

Sallie May sold them to a new agency. The agency on my credit report that currently holds my loans is California Student Aid. I tried to contact them but they are refusing to deal with me and are refering me to thier collection agency.

I do not want to deal with the collection agency, but I am not sure I have a chioce (I was under the impression I could insist on dealing soley with the creditor).

Do I have to deal with the collection agency?

If no then How do I go about getting California Student Aid to deal with me?

Ideally I want to rehab my student loans so I can get out of this mess. Any advice would be appreciated.

2. sparq

sparq Well-Known Member

I'd like to see someone clarify the "you have a right to deal only with the OC" sentiment, because it doesn't really make sense to me.

The way I see it, if the OC sold the account to a CA (that is, they actually assigned it; the OC isn't just hiring a CA to collect), then the OC no longer has any interest in whether you pay or not. Put simply, they couldn't care less.

Who is the CA? Has the CA contacted you yet? When was your last payment (to anyone) on the loan? Since they're so old, there's a chance that actually paying on the loan can make your situation a lot worse.

3. Xdust

Xdust New Member

I would definitely try and call California Student Aid to see if you can work with them.

This is a government agency, and not really a "Creditor". The rules here are sometimes very different.

AT one time, the IRS farmed out collection of its very small accounts to CA's. I had NO PROBLEM at all working with the IRS to pay my whopping $51 tax "problem" I knew nothing about, Untill a CA started harrasing me.

The IRS acted like the CA didnt even exist. I find that Government is kinda like that, no matter what you are dealing with.

But, I have no idea really. Cant hurt to try, IMHO.

4. apexcrsrv

apexcrsrv Well-Known Member

Call the OC . . .