Help With Discover

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by mindylou, Jul 4, 2001.

1. mindylou

mindylou Well-Known Member

Does anyone know the criteria for getting a discover card? My credit scores are 635 with eq and exp. 2 collections and 2 judgements, some 90 day lates which are all over 3 years and are being disputed. Anyone with any insight on how I could get one? Thanks

2. mindylou

just moving up. Anyone?

3. mindylou

OK gang I know somebody on this bulletin board knows a little something about getting a discover card. Any help appreciated. Oh yeah maybe everybody is shooting fireworks right now. Have a great 4th.

4. LKH

LKH Well-Known Member

I don't know anything about Discover, but someone does. George, don't you have Discover? Also, over 50 people have read this post, doesn't anyone have a discover card?

5. LKH

LKH Well-Known Member

Hey, that was post number 666 for me. Could that be a sign of things to come for the cra's if they keep messing with me?

6. GEORGE

GEORGE Well-Known Member

DON'T KNOW APPLICATION POLICIES...BUT I GOT NO INCREASE IN 5 YEARS, TILL I THREATENED TO STOP USING THE CARD...

7. DaveLV

DaveLV Well-Known Member

My Equifax FICO was 650 last time I checked. It is my best report, but it still has that false repossession from Ford Credit on it.

When I asked Discover to reinstate my account last month they checked Equifax and the only reason they gave for denial was the repo.

Lexington disputed it with Equifax and Experian this round. Experian verified it in less than a week but I don't know the Equifax outcome yet. If it drops off, I plan on asking Discover to reconsider.

That's all I know about Discover.

8. Reshod

Reshod Well-Known Member

Has the Discover Card and there is nothing good about this card except the low rate balance transfer offers.

I have had the card for almost a year and I am not a happy customer.

They raised the interest rate on me after 7 months for no apparent reason. The excuses they gave me were no different than what was on my credit report, when I was approved for the Discover Card.

They are nearly impossible to get a credit line increase with. They will always pull a credit report for either a limit increase or a lower APR.

I suggest that you converse with GEORGE and others and get their opinions.

The only reason, I keep the Discover Card is to see what THEY will do to me NEXT!!!

Good Luck,

9. mindylou

The main reason I would like to get the discover card is that it is the only card SAMS CLUB takes, but I don't want to waste an inquiry if I don't come close to qualifying.

10. GEORGE

GEORGE Well-Known Member

GOOD POINTS...FREE CARD & CASH BACK.

BAD POINTS...NEW ACCOUNT HOLDERS GET LIKE 1.9% OR 2.9% BALANCE TRANSFERS FOR AT LEAST 6 MONTHS...I GET 3-4 MONTHS @ 9.9%.

NEW ACCOUNT HOLDERS GET "GO TO RATE" LIKE 14.99%...I GET ~ 17.49%!!!
    THEY TELL YOU THEY HAVE TO "UP-DATE" THEIR RECORDS WITH A CREDIT REPORT TO GIVE YOU A CREDIT LINE INCREASE....I HAD TO TELL THEM I WILL STOP USING THE CARD TO GET A LAUGHABLE $1,500 INCREASE....
    AFTER 5 YEARS I THOUGHT THEY MIGHT BE ABLE TO GIVE ME $7,000 MORE.

11. GEORGE

GEORGE Well-Known Member

WARNING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Even if you are in the 1.00% bracket (after $3,000+) you will ONLY get the 0.25% rate on SAMS!!!!!

F.Y.I.
    $0-$1,000 [0.25%]
    $1,000-$2,000 [0.50%]
    $2,000-$3,000 [0.75%]
    $3,000+ [1.00%]

IF YOU SEND ME $29.95 I WILL TELL YOU HOW TO GET AROUND THAT...JUST KIDDING...BUY A GIFT CARD AT WAL*MART FOR LIKE $200.00 USE IT AT SAMS...YOU GET YOUR 1.00% CASH BACK.

12. Saar

Saar Banned

Reshod:

Don't forget 2-cycle billing and zero acceptance abroad :)

Saar

13. GEORGE

GEORGE Well-Known Member

All purchases made at BJ's Wholesale Club and Sam's Club will earn a fixed rate of .25%
    (.0025). However, purchases made at these warehouse club gas stations and Web sites will
    not be subject to this fixed rate and will continue to earn a Cashback Bonus award of up to
    1% based on your annual level and type of purchases.

14. DaveLV

DaveLV Well-Known Member

I got my Discover in 1990 when I had good credit with an initial limit of $1,000.

A that time I had a Citibank student card with a $500 limit, MBNA with a $5,000 limit, Amex green, Amex Optima with a $2,500 limit and an Amex corporate card.

15. GEORGE

GEORGE Well-Known Member

2-CYCLE BILLING NOT A BAD THING BECAUSE YOUR CASH BACK IS WASTED IF YOU DON'T PAY IN FULL.

16. GEORGE

GEORGE Well-Known Member

[$13,000] THAT'S WHY I WANTED $7,000 MORE TO HAVE $20,000 AFTER 5 YEARS.

I MAY JUST MAY HAVE TO LIVE WITH $14,500...

17. GEORGE

GEORGE Well-Known Member

ABROAD...NEVER BEEN THERE...

18. GEORGE

GEORGE Well-Known Member

USED IT FROM HAWAII TO MAINE AND EVERY WHERE IN BETWEEN...
    SOME USA STORES DON'T TAKE IT.

19. Dani

Dani Well-Known Member

LK:
    My initial credit limit with Discover was $1200 (and still holding).

Mindylou,

In response to your question about Discover's requirements. As a college student with no other credit at that time (back in 1996). Discover was the only credit card company willing to give me a chance. CL $1200. After they increased my interest rate to almost 18% I cancelled them in 1999. CL at that time $1700.

In 2000, I reapplied with Discover (CL $1200). At that time my FICO score was around 680. I received 0% for six months and a fixed interest rate of 14.99%. In 2000, I had established credit for four years - a CompUSA ($2500), Hechts ($800) and Amex Blue ($3000). No derogatory information on any of my credit reports.

Good points
    - Good customer service staff (they have always been polite and knowledgable to me, at least)
    - Low fixed interest rate
    - Cash back bonus

Bad points
    - Very stingy with credit line increases
    - Two cycle billing (never carry a balance on the card)
    - Cash back bonus is tiered ($1000 at .25, etc.)
    - Not taken everywhere

Hope this helps.

Dani

20. Shantel

Shantel Well-Known Member

5k CL, Plat

Mindylou, at the time, I believe my FICO was 654, but no negatives were on my report.