Help with First USA, need advice

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by Struggler, Jul 11, 2001.

1. Struggler

Struggler Well-Known Member

Folks, I appreciate all of the advice. Let me ask you this: FUSA obviously isn't going to do a thing for me as long as I'm on their "assist" program and still sending them money (I came off the program recently). Believe it or not, when I called to make a payment and was informed that the amount due had more than doubled, the girl "checked with her supervisor," and said I wasn't eligible anymore. We went around for a while and she finally advised me to wait a couple of weeks and call back, since their programs change all the time. So.... I just refrained from paying them. Period. Sure enough, a month later I got a call from one of their collectors and suddenly I'm eligible for every program they offer, except of course, a settlement. They are more than happy to float me along indefinitely for years, keep the payments coming in, keep my credit bad, etc... How long should I wait before seriously pursuing a settlement? I still can't help but believe that if, by some miracle, I could reach a real decision-maker, I could negotiate a removal of prior negative credit. Any suggestions?

2. breeze

breeze Well-Known Member

Maybe you could get results with Planet Feedback. Others have negotiated there.

breeze

3. Struggler

Struggler Well-Known Member

Folks, I hate to drag this week-old post up again (somehow my last post disappeared). I'm getting conflicting stories here. One person owes them $25,000.00 and they haven't come after him. Others say that they WILL attempt a lawsuit. I just don't have a clue. Besides, I was still paying them as of a couple of months ago, so I assume they'll pursue me through "conventional" means for a while, hopefully.

Here's what I'm thinking:

Come to terms for a settlement, whatever that may be. Maybe anywhere from 60 - 75 cents on the dollar. Get it in WRITING, if that's possible.

I'll forget the part about them deleting my prior negative credit for now. I can always dispute the prior bad listings later.

Again, I'm not trying to escape my debt. I just want to be treated fairly, since the greatest chunk of this debt is from bogus late fees and a usury interest rate, at a time in my life when I had more important things occupying my mind.

Thanks again to all who responded.

Any suggestions?

4. breeze

breeze Well-Known Member

Well, I already told you what I would do, so I'll just help you by bumping tihs back up.

breeze