Help With Old Debt -Experts Pl

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by SM, May 19, 2000.

1. SM

SM Guest

This is my second post of this...sorry if you have already read it, but I got no response before and thought I would try one more time!

I am trying to resolve two debts which I do not believe I owe. My biggest problem is that I send the official, certified letters to these two creditors requesting "proof" of these debts.

One of the debtors, GMAC, has ignored 3 certified letters. So I wrote to my Attorney General and finally got some response from GMAC. However, what I am disputing is an "insurance charge". I have continuously asked them to send me proof of this charge. So what do I get? A statement showing my payments on the account and at the bottom they handwrite in "Insurance Charge $601.00". How is that any kind of valid proof? Don't these people have to provide some sort of paperwork showing how they actually purchased insurance on this vehicle?? I am soooo tired of being railroaded. What does the law say about this proof? I am sure that each time I have disputed it with the credit bureau they have just receive a form letter from GMAC saying "yes, they owe it" and the credit bureau consitutes this as proof. How can I get this handled? Doesn't the credit bureau have to provide me with solid proof of the investigation?? Is there some kind of law that stipulates the "proof"? It can't just be someone's word...they should have to show VALID proof that I owe a debt.

Sorry to be long-winded, but I am soooo frustrated. This has been going on for over 2 years!

2. BOB

BOB Guest

RE: Help With Old Debt -Expert

SM, first off did you have insurance coverage
    on the car loan in question. Secondly did
    you ask GMAC to send you a copy of the policy
    from the insurance co. they are charging you
    for.

If you had insurance on the car(full coverage) and have proof, then they can not charge you for insurance.

You need to send a letter to GMAC asking for a copy of the policy with the name of the insurance company involved. Also send a letter to the Attorney General stating the problem and send a copy of the letter you
    send to GMAC along with it.

If GMAC fails to give you a copy of the policy, then I would contact a lawyer for
    advice on a law suit.

If you had coverage on your car during the time frame in question, then you need to
    have your insurance company contact GMAC with the information on the coverage they
    provided. Remember you have to have FULL
    COVERAGE insurance on a car with a loan
    against it, or the bank or lending institution will, and has the rite to purchase coverage for you in order to protect
    their interest.

I hope this has been alittle help for you.
    GOOD LUCK
    BOB

3. SM

SM Guest

RE: Help With Old Debt -Expert

Bob:

Thanks for the help. I have requested, on three occasions by certified mail, that they send me a copy of the policy. It took a letter to the Attorney General for GMAC to even acknowledge my previous letters. However, all they sent me was a copy of a statement showing all the payments on my account and then they HANDWROTE the insurance charge at the bottom of the statement. No proof - no nothing.

I figure the law from the FTC at least requires them to show PROOF that they bought the policy by showing a copy of the policy.

My next step is to hire a lawyer. Yes, I had full coverage on the vehicle. It is absolutely ridiculous. GMAC is treating me like some little peon that doesn't have any rights.

I think my next step is to also file a complaint through the FTC. They are breaking the law by not showing me any proof.

Thanks a lot!

BOB wrote:
    -------------------------------
    SM, first off did you have insurance coverage
    on the car loan in question. Secondly did
    you ask GMAC to send you a copy of the policy
    from the insurance co. they are charging you
    for.

If you had insurance on the car(full coverage) and have proof, then they can not charge you for insurance.

You need to send a letter to GMAC asking for a copy of the policy with the name of the insurance company involved. Also send a letter to the Attorney General stating the problem and send a copy of the letter you
    send to GMAC along with it.

If GMAC fails to give you a copy of the policy, then I would contact a lawyer for
    advice on a law suit.

If you had coverage on your car during the time frame in question, then you need to
    have your insurance company contact GMAC with the information on the coverage they
    provided. Remember you have to have FULL
    COVERAGE insurance on a car with a loan
    against it, or the bank or lending institution will, and has the rite to purchase coverage fo....