HELP!!!! with TRANS UNION

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by Terry, Jun 23, 2001.

1. Terry

Terry Well-Known Member

OK here is my situation. First I would like to thank those that informed me I could send a certified return receipt to Trans Union.

I sent them a letter and asked them for the names, telephone numbers, and addresses of the companies that verifed my trade lines.

Get this: They send me a letter telling me it will take 5-6 weeks to get that information out to me. So, in essence, they are reinvestigating the tradelines. I am sending them a letter stating I am NOT asking them to reinvestigate the tradelines, I am asking they PROVIDE the contact information from the disputes they claimed to have verified.

I requested Trans Union to investigate 5 tradelines. They didn't verify the information. They waited about 25 days and cliamed they verified as accurate. I told them in my letter that I expected this information by 6/29/01 that is 15 days.

the bottom line is: I want the methods they used to verify the information. I received the results on 6/1/01, I made the request on 6/14/01. I received a letter from them dated 6/19/01, that they are reinvestigating.

Any and all help solicited and appreciated.

2. tmitchell

tmitchell Well-Known Member

I believe that the FCRA states that they must provide you with this information within 15 days if requested. I requested this info when disputing online last week and got the contact info today.

If they fail to provide it within 15 days, I think it's a violation of the FCRA. I may be wrong BUT if I'm right, remind them they are in violation.

Tom

3. breeze

breeze Well-Known Member

yep, that's right.

§ 611. Procedure in case of disputed accuracy [15 U.S.C. § 1681i]

(a) Reinvestigations of disputed information.

(7) Description of reinvestigation procedure. A consumer reporting agency shall provide to a consumer a description referred to in paragraph (6)(B)(iii) by not later than 15 days after receiving a request from the consumer for that description.

Why don't you just quote this? hehe...

breeze

4. dlo64

dlo64 Well-Known Member

Good point, Breeze. I might just have to do that when I write my letter to TU.

To me it kind of looks like TU was caught in the act of not reverifying by what Terry is saying. I want to catch them also as I am pretty sure they did not reverify some of my disputes, but claim they did. If they can provide the info, then I can go to the creditor and demand they correct the info on my reports. Not only does it look like TU is going to maybe actually reinvestigate, they are giving themselves more than the 30 day requirement. Boy are they sneaky!

5. G. Fisher

G. Fisher Banned

Terry:

Did they give you this, as described in the FCRA:

"... a notice that, if requested by the consumer, a description of the procedure used to determine the accuracy and completeness of the information shall be provided to the consumer by the agency, including the business name and address of any furnisher of information contacted in connection with such information and the telephone number of such furnisher, if reasonably available"

?

Will you scan and post your documents (blacking-out identifying information)?

6. river

river Well-Known Member

I am always on monthly basisdisputing my Trans report and have always got up to date list with all
    'verify" info with all required documentation. Could itbe you are over looking it?

7. breeze

breeze Well-Known Member

Greg,

I think (the section of the code you quoted) is the (6)(B)(iii) referred to in the section I quoted. That's what she's saying...TU said they will take 5-6 weeks to do this.

The code says 15 days. They are in violation, it appears to me.

breeze

8. G. Fisher

G. Fisher Banned

breeeze, I'm only asking about the disclosure that was supposed to be given to the consumer right after the reinvestigation. I wonder what it says.

Tthe way I understand it:

1. Consumer makes dispute.
    2. CRA reinvestigates item and responds to consumer before 30 days from the date the CRA receives the dispute-- or if it doesn't reinvestigate within the 30 days, it removes the disputed item.
    3. CRA provides the results of the reinvestigation not later than 5 days after it has ended. The results must be accompanied by a disclosure that a description of the procedure is available upon request, and that description is to include the name, address, and phone of the information furnisher IF REASONABLY AVAILABLE.

I'm just wondering what that DISCLOSURE ABOUT that procedure actually says. She should have it.

9. dlo64

dlo64 Well-Known Member

Received updated Trans Union on Thursday. Didn't receive any disclosure, just the updated report.

Does this mean that TU is in violation of this as well?

10. breeze

breeze Well-Known Member

OK. I get it now.

breeze