help with unpaid health collection?

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by bfllover, Jul 11, 2001.

  1. bfllover

    bfllover Well-Known Member

    I just started with junum,received credit reports on my husband and myself.I sent both of them off to Junum with only the derogatories hilighted with specific instructions to only work on those.BUT a collection item showed up on my husbands,but not on mine showing a $164 unpaid collection from Healthcare Collections INC here in phoenix.This was from 1998.That year we had many medical bills from a hospitilization and I had many bills not sent due to them putting wrong city in the address.I called Junum,they said pay it due to it would keep resurfacing as unpaid.I called the collection agency after finding their addy on the internet.They checked the account and it was still listed with the wrong city as the address.They said I was called in 1998 and had asked for the bill to be faxed by me to my house.I do not remember that and said maybe it was my daughter since she was living at home at the time.I then asked if I paid the bill in full would they delete it from my husbands file.She checked with supervisor,came back and said it would be listed as paid but still would be on the reports.By the way I blacked this item out on report sent to junum with note I was working on this myself.What kind of letter do I draft to proceed next.Or what is the best thing to do.I have read here that dont pay till they agree to delete it,but I want to do it correctly!!!
  2. MartysGirl

    MartysGirl Well-Known Member

    I would send them a letter by mail C.R.R. ask for Validation, bearing my signature, along with a cease and desists only in writing my they contact me. Now that you have called they WILL try to call you back and hassle you.

    Hope this helps!!

  3. bfllover

    bfllover Well-Known Member

    Martysgirl,thanks I will do that but should I just go ahead and pay,since they said on the phone that they will not delete the item if paid,only list it as paid.I am afraid of making a mistake that is irreversible.
  4. tmitchell

    tmitchell Well-Known Member

    DO NOT pay it yet. Only pay when all else fails. The payment is your only bargaining chip!

  5. MartysGirl

    MartysGirl Well-Known Member

    Look at it this way... If you pay it ... it is still a BIG FAT NEG on your report and it will not help you at all!!

    I would first send the validation letter to the collectors by mail. If it comes back and they can provide to you your signature. Then... you write to them negotiate with a lower price and and Deletion of the collection account. Start strong then work your way down. Usually, they will send a counter offer. BUT NO MATTER what do not pay them Unless they Delete it. AND get this all in writing!!! I can't stress this enough. That way if they put back on one of your reports 2 years from now. You can fax the letters to the CRA's and THEY will delete the collection account.

    Keep strong. and time will help... I PROMISE.. ;-)


Share This Page