Hey Mom??

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by Jim, May 3, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jim

Jim Well-Known Member

Please don't think I am nosy but...

You wrote on the Bayhouse thread that "Christine was banned".

What on earth happened?

Again, I hope I am not giving you the wrong impression but I was a little surprised to read this.

LOL - and no offense to Christine.

2. Momof3

Momof3 Well-Known Member

Hi jim,

I don't know the whole story by any means but, Christine used to post here a while back quite frequently and she was yet another victim of "booby", she wanted to take action against him and ask the moderators for assistance, they would not help and I am not sure what developed after that, but she mentioned on more than one occasion about be banned, how I don't know , since then can't seem to ban anyone else who truly deserves it, looking the other way as usual around here.

3. AnnMarie

AnnMarie Well-Known Member

If the cause of banning Christine was out of her drive to do something about our favorite troller---Hmmm.....wasn't there a serious issue about her personal safety?
    I would really like for our moderators to step up and explain if they had any involvement in her non-activity on this board.

AnnMarie

4. Jim

Jim Well-Known Member

Mom,

Now I get the picture. My intuition is that when Christine was banned she probably honored the ban.

5. admin

admin Administrator Staff Member

I also don't know anything about Christine and anything to do with her banning. PBM might be able to answer that better.

But I take exception to your assertion that we (the admin here) look the other way. We are very dedicated to running this board in the best way that we can. True, we can't always be there to moderate and fix things. And banning people that don't want to be banned is one of the most difficult things to accomplish on a board like this. We ban an IP and "booby" can find another IP to login. We ban an email address, he can just create another hotmail account. We ban hotmail email accounts and we alienate a significant portion of the current registered users. etc., etc.

We went to this new board software pretty much for the sole reason of being able to better moderate and monitor the board. We have spent significant resources and money to try to make your experience here better. We do not look the other way. We are actively trying to make things better. We are human, however, and do make mistakes and can't catch and/or fix everything, especially overnight.

Perhaps we've failed to make this board a better place. But you can't say that we aren't trying. We are trying.

6. Momof3

Momof3 Well-Known Member

I was not referring to "booby" by any means, I was referring to what occured here a few weeks ago, a certain "poster" used vulgar and disgusting remarks in a thread, now normally the thread is pulled when it has been discovered by the moderators, but this particular thread was not pulled , it was however edited and the vulgar word was replaced by "sweetie", the thread itself was totally uncalled even without the vulgarity, yet someone here took the time to edit it, it was eventuall pulled but only after is was edited first I frankly never understood that, any other time the thread is removed totally yet that thread just got edited, makes no sense that someone took the time to edit it it should have been removed when it was discovered.

I do understand that this board can't be monitored 24/7 but the editing of that thread instead of deleting was completely wrong.

7. Linda

Linda Well-Known Member

Why should PBM (or anyone) have to explain/justify this?
    I, for one, find that assertion objectional as well because it seems obvious to me you guys are doing everything possible to make this a better board. (Not that it was bad to begin with!)
    Too bad you have to do so much "babysitting" when I'm sure y'all have better things to do.
    Nor should anyone be demanding things of the admins. We're all guests here and should be acting accordingly.
    Love what you're doing with the boards! Thanks for having me.

8. admin

admin Administrator Staff Member

Well, moderating a board like this isn't easy. Sometimes editing a post might be in order, sometimes deleting, sometimes something else. I'm not aware of the incident you brought up, but I can tell you that it's hard sometimes to tell the "correct" way to handle things. At least the thread was eventually derailed.

For instance, we have at least a couple people on this board who can post extremely good credit information, yet can be extemely callous and even vulgar at times. And then when you get them in the same thread together and *boom*... What's really the best way to handle things like that? The person(s) in question just might be having a really bad day, etc. And we (the admin) can't do much but try our best to close / delete those threads and ask that people take things to email. We don't really want to ban people unless it's as a last resort. (And like I said in the reply above, it's actually REALLY hard to ban someone that really doesn't want to be banned.)

I'm just asking that everyone try to understand that running this board is both hard and time-consuming, and that we are trying our best to make this board as good as it possibly can be.

9. Kelly

Kelly Well-Known Member

Jim,

I was here during the Christine - bobby delimma - Christine wanted ISP information and stuff so that she could get bobby's info and prosecute. He was harassing her pretty badly - much like our friend LKH. (which was why I told LKH to contact Christine when he was considering doing the same thing)

Anyway, Christine was unable to get the information she wanted from the administration and got quite upset.

It escalated from there. Was pretty nasty.

Kelly

10. pbm

pbm Administrator

Christine, Bayhouse and Creditnet

Given Bayhouse's closing of its discussion forum and the interest it has sparked, the topic of why Christine was banned from this board has surfaced once again. Creditnet has never told its side of the story. We feel now is an appropriate time to comment on the matter.

Despite popular concensus we feel Christine's ban was justified and necessary at the time. While we empathized with her efforts to track down Bobby, we did not approve of her use of our board as the primary vehicle for her otherwise legitimate cause. Christine became very upset when we refused to provide her with server log information. Her response was to flood the board with messages in which she not only slandered us but accused us of protecting the interests of Bobby, a ludicrous accusation at best. At the same time complaints began pouring in from users asking us to put an end to her posts which they found to be very disruptive. Creditnet along with other visitors asked Christine to curtail precisely those activities on the board. She refused to cooperate and was banned as a result.

The ban was effective because she used a local ISP with a unique name, not a national one. Had she accessed the board through a different ISP she would have bypassed the ban just like others had done.

The important point here, and one which Christine failed to understand, is that it is standard operating procedure for any company to release server log information only when subpoenaed. This policy is intended to protect all parties including visitors to the board. If our policy is to not release information unless subpoenaed, what grounds do we have for making an exception? How safe would you feel knowing that we release information to anyone who requests it?

In our view banning Christine was the unfortunate result of a misunderstanding that spiraled out of control. Rather than try to work around it Christine embarked on a crusade against Creditnet, and things deteriorated from there.

Incidentally, Christine's ban was lifted a while back though she was never notified of it. Christine is welcome to return here and share her knowledge at any time. In fact, we were under the impression she had already returned and has been posting under a new name for several months. Of course, only Christine herself can confirm or deny our suspicion.

Sincerely,
    pbm

11. pbm

pbm Administrator

Your assertion is incorrect. That thread was never edited.

In fact, we were made aware of the offensive word used in the post and added that word to the text filter which automatically parses the messages and replaces offensive words with those we specify. "Sweetie" was added as a replacement for that particular word. Later, the thread was deleted as you correctly point out.

Sincerely,
    pbm

12. marci

marci Well-Known Member

To Creditnet pbm and admin:

I want to thank you for the hard work in moderating and maintaing the board. I too moderated a popular message board for 9 months and I know how thankless it can be. It is a TREMENDOUS amount of work and invariably - in order to do a good job - it becomes your life.

So I, for one, appreciate everything this board does and stands for.

Thanks much!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.