Hey Sam

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by S.D., Dec 15, 2000.

  1. S.D.

    S.D. Guest

    I was considering what you had said about Cap1 vs. Aria. The last time I applied for a Cap1 unsecured, I got an offer for $200 secured, $199 deposit. Then, about a month later they sent me another secured offer for $200, but this time w/ $99 down. I was thinking of taking them up on this after what you said, but now I can't find the original offer. =0( It has also been well over the 30 days that they require for my response. If I find it, think I should mail it in anyway? I don't want to call and apply again (another inquiry). It's not as nice an offer as they offered you ($500 secured w/$99 deposit), but it does have better rates than Aria.
    The only prob now is what I should do about Aria. I want to keep it. But if for any reason I decide to cancel, I lose my $49 for the processing fee. Call me a tightwad, but that's half of the deposit for the Cap1 offer!

    I wasn't gonna apply for anything else. Figured 3 tradelines is enough? If a good deal comes up, maybe then I'll go for it and get rid of Aria. Is it bad to have accounts opened a month after the other?
  2. sam

    sam Well-Known Member

    RE: Hmm.

    Call them up on the first offer. Ask them for $500 for $99, you never know. Some people got $400 for $49, some got $500 for $49, its really wierd. You might be able to get more..

    If you've paid for the aria, my suggestion, keep it. It's a very small price to pay for 1 year of good tradeline.

    Perhaps if you contact capitalone application department, they can wiggle you into a higher limit. Tell them you just got an aria unsecured etc.

    Most they can say is they stick to it.
  3. S.D.

    S.D. Guest


    I'll give them a call today. I don't know why, but I get so nervous trying to negotiate w/ them, like I'm asking for too much. I know it definitely doesn't hurt to ask. All they can say is no. I'll give it a shot and keep you updated.
  4. sam

    sam Well-Known Member

    RE: Thanks

    Please do. I'm not sure how they determine the deposit vs limit.

    my gf had 0 credit and no derog, and got $99/500, i had about 15 charge off's all about 3.5 years old, and got that too.

    Good luck :)
  5. S.D.

    S.D. Guest

    RE: Called them

    I spoke to a nice rep, but I still didn't get what I wanted. She asked how I applied for the card. I told her online, and she said that I wasn't preapproved and they weren't guaranteeing that I would even be offered a card. She also said that at that time, that was the best offer they can give me based on my CR. They randomly send out offers thru the mail and if I didn't want to accept the offer I had now, I should just wait for a better offer thru the mail. Do you think my name will miraculously be pulled and an offer will be on the way after this call? =0) Guess we'll have to wait and see.
  6. sam

    sam Well-Known Member

    RE: Called them

    May be easier to apply online, they will either 1. Flat out deny you, or 2. send you the paperwork to mail in with a check for the deposit.

    It took me exactly 3 weeks to apply, and get my card, under optimal shipping times (ie sent the check out the VERY same afternoon i received the application).

  7. S.D.

    S.D. Guest

    RE: Called them

    That's what I did the first time. That's why she was saying that they weren't guaranteeing me anything. I guess she's talking about the pre approved offer in the mail w/ your name on it? I applied again online anyway. Instead of going for the unsecured which I know I can't get, I applied for the $500 for "as low as $99" secured card. They said I'll receive a notice in the mail in 7-10 days. I could be denied for all I know, or get the same offer again. If that's the case, I'll take the best offer, even if that's the expired one. All they can do is send my money back, right?
  8. S.D.

    S.D. Guest


    what does ymmv stand for?
  9. sam

    sam Well-Known Member

    RE: btw...

    Your Mileage May Vary :) as with most of the credit info.

    You will get in 7-10 business days.

    1. A letter saying NO.
    2. A letter saying gimme $99

    Let us know how it goes.

Share This Page