high limit cards

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by graywolf, Oct 27, 2000.

1. graywolf

graywolf Guest

Can anybody reccomend a good high limit card
    (10,000 or better) secured or unsecured.
    I travel alot and keep running up against the 5 grand limit I have now on a mastercard.
    usually at the time I need to buy another plane ticket or rent a hotel room it is tapped out even though I usually pay it off every month. The one I have now does not go any higher than 5k.

thanks

2. Killer

Killer Guest

American Express...sounds like you need their charge card!

3. dave

dave Well-Known Member

Aside from AMEX, you might want to look into a visa signature card or world mastercard. These accounts combine a specified credit limit with a "no preset spending limit" option. Although this sounds like a contradiction, the way it works is that if you charge above the credit line, you have to repay any excess in full on the next statement. This would give you the flexibility of carrying a balance and spending above the limit if you have to. Citibank offers a world mastercard with this feature plus it earns miles. You can check this out at the website. Make sure to apply for the world version of the Aadvantage card rather than the regular Aadvantage card.

4. graywolf

graywolf Guest

RE: high limit cards Addtional

I should add that I have a ding or two in my credit reports. do not think I can qualify for amex or citibank.

5. dave

dave Well-Known Member

Amex will want to see unblemished credit. Citibank will pay more attention to what's been happening in the past 2-3 years. Others with credit blemishes have reported here that they have been approved by citibank. Actually, I was denied for the Amex blue but got the world aadvantage with a 10,500 credit limit. My credit is stellar for the past six years but I still have one collection account on my report that will fall off in January. If your credit problems are fairly old and not too egregious, you have a good shot.

6. roni

roni Well-Known Member

Sounds like with dings, you should not apply for the world aadvantage. You should apply for the reg aadvantage or the gold aadvantage. The creditlimits are the same. the world just has better fees and rates. But what do I know?

7. Doug

Doug Well-Known Member

You run up a 5k limit and pay it off monthly,
    you should NO PROBLEM getting a healthy credit line increase on current card.

8. Doug

Doug Well-Known Member

Sorry, missed reading it doesn't go any higher, TRY NEXTCARD, they are big on transfers. Run two reports thou.

9. dogman

dogman Well-Known Member

RE: AMEX

I agree with Killer. Once you get a CHARGE
    CARD - no limits. I've had the Green Card for about 4 months and asked once with a Rep about future spending. No denials at up to $4400 per purchase. I could have to talk with a Rep to buy a car for $15K. But they
    would do it if you had finacing approved - or - knowing AMEX, another division would immediately solicit your car loan.

Also is the BEST for those hotel reservations, cancellations, credits, etc.
    On Limit Cards, a hotel could pay your $200 room, then that reduces your available
    credit.

AMEX takes care of everything.
    They have several kewl cards - but get a no pre set limit card + get menmbership rewards.

Dogman