Holiday Disputing

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by lbowman, Nov 7, 2001.

1. lbowman

lbowman Well-Known Member

Has anyone had any success with this? When is the best time to dispute?

Thanks.

2. bbauer

bbauer Banned

It must be a great strategy because it is claimed that it is used by all or almost all of the credit repair organizations. Personally, I disdain such tactics and find them more of a hinderance than a benefit. So much so that I may stop sending in any new demands for verification at all during the month of December since they are only a minor help anyway. I have not really thought about doing that previously, but as I do think about it, I think that I may just very well refrain from any activity with the credit bureaus during the month of December.

For those who are disputing their records with the credit bureaus, I understand that it is the very best time of the year and Iwould think that one's disputes should be in the mail not later than about December 5th.

I would not discourage anyone else from disputing, I only say that it's not for me.

3. Pat

Pat Well-Known Member

Is the thought here that with the holidays the dispute won't get resolved in 30 days and they will have to delete? Or is it something else?

4. bbauer

bbauer Banned

That's what I have read in many places. I also have a large library of books on credit repair and some of them also mention that same thinking.
    No, that's the thinking as I understand it.

5. lbowman

lbowman Well-Known Member

Thanks for the input. I'm currently trying to work with my creditors. The only problem is that I would like to move to a larger apt soon and getting the accounts temporarily removed from my file seems like a good option.

-lb

6. Marie

Marie Well-Known Member

more of a chance for entry wrong by the CRa
    more of a chance for nonresponse by the creditor
    especially good for public entries :_) Civil servants on holiday.

7. sam

sam Well-Known Member

Current anthrax/mailroom issues + holidays = boon for disputes by mail.

8. bbauer

bbauer Banned

Sam:
    Talking about the anthrax scare, it seems that some of the collection agencies are having lots of problems these days due to the WTC Sept. 11 incident and anthrax scares. It's really interesting and if you read it from the debtor's viewpoint rather than the collector's viewpoint for which it was written, it might provide some new ideas about what to say when the next bill collector calls. It's located at
    http://www.creditwrench.com/cwarticle1.html

I've "sanitized" the article so the magazine it was printed in can't be readily identified, but it was in a clandestine little sleazerag circulated among the wolves. You know, the ones that come howling at your door or ringing your telephone all the time. I never pay them much mind. I generally just tell them it isn't my fault they didn't bring a picnic basket with them.

9. Andrew

Andrew Well-Known Member

Jesus Bill...don't you have an OCR scanner? Can';t even read it.

10. beary

beary Well-Known Member

Also, won't they just delay and send you a letter extending their research for another 30 days a/c some technicality if they "need more time?

I sense that it is a useless strategy, but so far I've had no experience either way.

11. Nave

Nave Well-Known Member

I am definitely planning to dispute the remaining 2 items I have on Equifax using the holiday season as a tool. I think I will submit my disputes on or around November 20th. I figure that way, the 30-45 days will include mail from:
    Thanksgiving/Christmas/Hanukkah/Kwanzaa/Ramadan and NewYears.

(not that there is a flood of Ramadan cards sent slowing the mail but to be P.C. :)

-Peace, Dave

12. Hal

Hal Well-Known Member

This article is from the current issue of Collections and Credit Risk. Their website is: http://www.collectionsworld.com/toc.htm

The individual article is not posted. I peruse this site often to keep a feel of what the collectors are thinking.

13. bbauer

bbauer Banned

Ok. I'll redo them in a bit. I reduced them by about 75% in order to save space and that's too much. I never reduced documents that much before and I should have known better than to go below 50% reduction. I will redo them and should have it done no later than mid-afternoon.

Sorry.