Homeowner....what do I do now?

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by roni, Jul 22, 2001.

1. roni

roni Well-Known Member

Homeowners...what do I do now?

Friends,

As you know I am waiting for settlement in about 6 weeks. What do I do now? I know that you guys mentioned all these things that I may need money for after I settle. The builder(seller) is paying the closing cost. What is gonna happen at settlement? What kind of hidden cost may I encounter. I would really appreciate the advice.

smoochies!

2. MartysGirl

MartysGirl Well-Known Member

Re: Homeowners...what do I do now?

Hi Roni

I am bumping this up so everyone can read ;-) I 2 would like to know the answer to this.

MartysGirl

3. doodyhead

doodyhead Well-Known Member

you may need $$ for a few months taxes & insurance. Other than that, don't know. Good luck & congrats!

4. roni

roni Well-Known Member

thanx....doodyhead

5. NanaC

NanaC Well-Known Member

Roni,
    The only thing that "surprised" us was payment in full of house insurance...it was no big deal but was a surprise.

Oh, and once again, I'm so glad our contract said keys at closing and not keys at funding! That turned out to be very important.

That's it for me!

6. roni

roni Well-Known Member

what is the difference between the two....do you have to wait for paperwork to clear to get keys or what the other way..if so how long?

7. NanaC

NanaC Well-Known Member

This was big for us, Roni...when we wrote up our contract, our realtor said we would put keys at closing but warned us they may say closing & funding. Closing implies the signing while funding is when everyone gets their check. We closed but they didn't want to give us keys until funding only our realtor had thought of that and so they had to. When we wrote the contract, it seemed a tiny point but it turned out to be huge..as in 6 days huge!

As it was, we ended up having to pay $20 a day rent for 3 days because they had to send the papers to the husband out of town who wouldn't technically sign until Thursday. We had signed on Tuesday and the wife had signed on Tuesday. When they found out he had to give us the keys on Thurs. not Funding, they made us pay rent for Tues, Wed, and Thur. We got taken, we know.

Our realtor offered to reimburse us but it was not his fault so we just ate it.

The moral of the story is that it can make a difference of a week in moving in. It probably isn't the same issue with a builder, though.

(Hope, clarify for me, if necessary, please.)

8. GEORGE

GEORGE Well-Known Member

I'm glad I had access to the combo door lock...the realtor told me to water every day or I would have a dead lawn...(automatic sprinkler controls were broken) he paid for a neighbor kid to mow the lawn. HE MADE ME TURN WATER ON AND OFF AT THE MAIN IN THE BASEMENT (I GUESS SO THE NEIGHBORS WOULDN'T "BORROW" ANY WATER).

If we didn't get keys at closing...I could have gotten in by combo door lock.

9. MikeG

MikeG Well-Known Member

NanaC,

It sounds like your situation has to do with a person to person exchange. However, Roni, if you are buying brand new, which I assume from you stating the builder is paying the closing costs, then I think you may be ok. However, I would check on it none the less. Remember, the numbers they gave you were an estimate not final. I was actually lucky and had closing costs drop $2000.

The most shocking part for me was all the faxing I did on the night before showing proof of this and that. I became real irritating. I just refinanced and went through a similar process of faxing items at the last minute.

Think about the house items you will need when you move in. Things like a broom, mop, buckets, paper towels, bathroom needs. We spent a lot of time at Home Depot. George mentions a great point about the grass.

Mike G.

10. roni

roni Well-Known Member

Thanks guys,
    Luckily since it is a townhome/condo community, I pay association dues for the upkeep of the grass etc. Since they do this for everyone there with my style townhome hopefully there will not be any surprises with their closing cost estimates especially if they are paying. I am just so excited. Moving again in just under a year is a bummer, but I just couldnt waste my money in rent anymore. I pray this mortgage will help with my taxes. Thanks for the advice. I havent made it to home depot yet but I plan on it....looking for a kitchen island....