hosp bills 8yrs old

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by lilmoney, Apr 15, 2001.

1. lilmoney

lilmoney Guest

I continue to get phone calls from a credit agency threating to garnish wages over multiple hospital bills totaling aboput 1,500. I asked her to send me an itamized statement of each bill. I recieved only one and it was for 195.00. Over the phone she told me that some of the bills were 8 years old. How do I procede with this?? Can wages be garnished for an 8 year old bill?

2. breeze

breeze Well-Known Member

3. myong

myong Active Member

Breeze. According to that website, the statue of limitations is 3 years where I live, Nevada. That doesn't sound right. When I talked to someone that worked at the attorney general's office, they said 7 years. Where can you find out for sure what the sol is for your state?

4. breeze

breeze Well-Known Member

I believe that site is correct. There are some folks on this board who have referred to the 3 yr SOL in Nevada.

breeze

5. myong

myong Active Member

Lizardking. I didn't know there was a difference between how long they can sue you, and how long it can stay on your credit report. I thought if the sol was say 7 years, then they could sue you anytime within that timeframe.

When I talked to the person at the attorney general's office, I was only asking them how long it could stay on my credit report, I never thought about asking them how long for being sued.

Another interesting thing is that 2 collection accounts reported on experian only stayed on my report for 4 years before they came off, but they are still listed on equifax.

I had a paid collection reported on experian that was supposed to come off in 4 years, I disputed it, and when it came back verified, they added 3 more years too it. That's what prompted me to call the attorney general's office in the first place.

I'm to the point now where I'm just getting more and more frustrated trying to figure what they can or can't do.

6. Ender

Ender Well-Known Member

Myong: there is only 2 things really and they are different.. the SOL is when they can sue you. If your SOL is not up, then you need to be cautious and careful so they don't sue you and you get served.. if that is past, then all the collection/creditors can do is pester you by calling you and mailing you. Thus, if you send them a cease and desist letter, then they can't bother you.

The second issue to worry about is your credit. It can legally stay on your CR for 7 years. So this needs to be dealt with separately, using the methods described on this forum..

7. myong

myong Active Member

Ender. Thank you for finally clearing this up.

Thank You
    Thank You
    Thank You

This is all starting too make sense now.