Household Bank Mastercard

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by Chet, Mar 23, 2001.

1. Chet

Chet Well-Known Member

There's a link on this page to apply for this card.

For anyone who has this card, is it worth the inquiry? Do they approve online with bad marks on credit reports? I would like to transfer some balances, do they offer a generous credit limit?

I see they are offering 3.9% intro, your rate then goes to anywhere from 16.5 - 23.5%.

For those that have this card, could you please share some info!!

Thanks

Chet

2. kim

kim Well-Known Member

I have this card. Seems like when I got the card 8/99, I had to pay all kinds of crazy fees to activate the accout. $500 limit with $200+ dollars in fees once I activated it. I needed a card so I did it. I've gotten two increases in the last 3-4 months, limit now $750. Seems like every time I pay it off I receive a letter that says I've gotten an increase ($100 or $150). I've never asked for an increase, I may do that once I pay if off again. That and a rate reduction. I don't have any problems with them, no out of the ordinary fees or charges since I've had it. Interest rate is 19.4%. Online payments are good, not sure if they have a toll-free number.

3. JD

JD Guest

Got this card in Feb. I received an offer in the mail for a Gold MasterCard. Applied on-line and was approved instantly. However, they sent me the regular MasterCard. Anyway, no annual fee, intro 3.9 until July, 1000 credit. I transferred a balance free. Make payments on-line but takes several days to post.

4. Ron

Ron Well-Known Member

I like GM card because the card has a better terms and rewards towards the merchndise on the websites. I don't know they approve you their card even you have bad mark on your credit report. You don't expect they give you high credit lines. I knew Household pull credit from Equifax.

5. marci

marci Well-Known Member

Chet,

I ti s my understanding that there are two "Household Bank" products. The true HHB, I
    cannot comment on, but the other card is "Household Bank - Bankcard Services".

It reports as "Household Bank" on 2 CRAs but as first "Renaissance" and now "Orchard" on Transunion. I pay my bills to "Bankcard Services" (www.householdcard.com) located in Oregon. The card is VERY sub=prime. I have a $59 annual fee, a low credit line and the phone number for classic card holders is long distance.

A person graciously posted the actual toll free number she received when she upgraded her card
    and became a preferred customer. It is 1-800-216-1013. I have never heard of a company
    that had the chutzpah to only give a toll-free number to only "preferred" customers.

The customer service is TERRIBLE. HHB charged me incorrectly on an account, the initial
    reps were completely clueless and ALL the supervisors made the assumption that I was in the
    wrong (my account has always been in perfect standing). It took my demanding a unit manager
    and threteaning a lawsuit before I got my redress. Even then, she screwed it up and I had to
    call back to a supervisor who (this was a first) actualyl acknowledged the mistake.

I think the real HHB may be better, but I'll let others comment on that. If the payment address
    is 'Bankcard Services' - run away. This division is like Cross Country.

Marci

6. marci

marci Well-Known Member

Sorry for all the typos. I was conversing with someone as I
    wrote the previous post.

Marci

7. Mike

Mike Well-Known Member

I just got this card last month and will receive my first statement next month. I think my payment address is Household Credit Services located in Carol Stream, Illinois. I hope this is the "real" HHB. Does anyone send their payments to this address? Do they post your payments right away or is there a long delay?

8. Donna

Donna Well-Known Member

Chet,

I have the UnionPlus Mastercard issued by Household Bank. Since I've only had this card a few months, my experience is limited but service has been great thus far.

Household pulled my equifax which still has a few dings, including a paid chargeoff, but I managed to get a credit limit of $1500. For the first six months, the card offers a 3.something balance-transfer option and I received some checks with the card. After that, the interest rate isn't terrific, 18%, but I'm planning to get it lowered.

Customer service has been prompt and courteous and my payments have posted in a timely manner. Oh, and I was given a toll free number.

Good luck and I hope this helps.

Donna

9. cadman

cadman Well-Known Member

On the GM Card, yes they will approve you even with a BK 7. I received $1500 line with 16.9% in December. My bk is 8 years old. I always pay online, pay over the min and about 10 days before due. No problems so far. :)

10. marci

marci Well-Known Member

Pay Online

Mike,

I do know that the "real" HHB does have a website and online bill
    payment, if you're interested in doing that. Actually, it's how I found out that
    there were two divisions. I went to that site, tried to register and the site did
    not recognize my card. The cust. service told me that I had a different HHB
    card and that (at that time) I could not pay online.

The sub-prime division is www. householdcard.com, but I've forgotten the
    real HHB website.

11. Ron

Ron Well-Known Member

Re: Pay Online

Mike,
    I think you can make on-line payment and you don't have to worry about post on time or not.

12. Y.M.

Y.M. Guest

Re: Pay Online

I got their pre-approved last month;3.9% for six months then 16.24%.The website is www.hbcard.com .

13. Chet

Chet Well-Known Member

Cadman

Were you approved online for the GM Card?

Were you sent an invitation in the mail?

Thanks
    Chet

14. carl

carl Guest

Re: Household Bank Cards

I have a Household Bank Visa card but it's not a "real" HHBankcard Visa because I got this account from the now defunct United Credit National Bank based in Sioux Falls, SD. (Why are all these banks in Wilmington, DE or Sioux Falls, SD?) Anyway, UCNB was okay--they extended offers to the prime and subprime markets. My payments went to Florida. Around November 2000 I got a letter saying that UCNB had been bought out by Household and all of our cards would be changed. Note that the acct number is the same but I now have the pretty Blue card ;-) The only other thing to change was that my payments now go to the HHB payment center in Carol Stream, IL. Note that customer service for the old and new banks are toll-free:

888-273-3273
    800-366-7817
    800-221-8340

Now as for Internet access, UCNB did not have full capabilities but you could get basic stuff (payment due date and amount, balance, limit, last 5 or so transactions and payment address) from the following web site

https://www.myccinfo.com

I have never really had problems with these people although I've heard that HHB is so-so and many people on another site have said to watch them like a hawk! LOL Here's the odd thing: when you go to the above web site and then sign on, the web site log into comes from EQUIFAX! Also, I use the online banking feature of Bank of America...for online payments to Visa or Mastercard, you don't need to enter the name or the payment address--you enter the account number and the BofA computers *know* what bank issued the cards! In all cases, it knew which card was CapitalOne, Sterling Bank and Chase. However, when I put the UCNB/HHBank Visa in, it says the bank is Equifax!! Strange.

When I said this wasn't a "real" HHB card, I found that out from some rude rep because I tried to enroll on the www.hbcard.com (https://www.householdaccount.com) site, my account number would not work. So I call HHB and the lady insists that I don't have a HHB card: "Hmmm that's funny," I say, "because my card is blue marble with a reflective 'Household Bank' logo on the front." So then she tells me "Oh, well I don't see it, maybe it's one of those <slur> subprime deals, you'll have to call your own people!"

Main Household Financial web site
    http://www.hfc.com/

Household Credit Services (umbrella for all cards)
    http://www.hcscard.com/

Household Bankcard (the blue one)
    http://www.hbcard.com/

https://www.householdaccount.com

If the first 6 digits of your Account Number begins with 5407-91 (Beneficial cards?) you will need to to register at
    https://www.householdcard.com/

GM Card
    http://www.gmcard.com/

Union Plus
    http://www.upcard.com/

Orchard
    http://www.orchardbank.com/

15. cadman

cadman Well-Known Member

Re: Cadman

I was approved online. It took about 20 seconds. I was kinda shocked. I happened across their website while just scanning for credit card info. Now that I checked my score on Equifax, it's not as much of a shock - 698. Only negative is the public record, BK 7.

16. Polly

Polly Guest

Re: Cadman

Great info Carl. I too came from the UCNB people. I haven't gotten my new card yet. I am nervous because I was happy with UCNB and have heard bad things about Household.

In response to your, Why are all these guys in Sious Falls and Wilmington? It has to do with incorporation and state laws governing them. I run a small business on the side and incorportated in DE b/c it was cheap and they ask no questions! Try that in NYC. The lawyer I used said they have lax rules in DE (and SD too) about what corps and their boards need to report to the state government and get large tax breaks for maintaining offices there.

17. MikeB

MikeB Banned

GMcard

I applied online for the GMcard. No online approval and a reply expected in the mail in 7-10 days. I guess that means no :(

Mike

18. Kelly

Kelly Well-Known Member

Re: GMcard

Hi Marci,

You are able to get the annual fee refunded. When I called Household. They credited the annual fee. They also increases my CL. I didn't know at the time. I never even mentioned my limit. However, I received a letter acknowledging the annual fee credit and the increase. I checked on-line and it was there. The rep was really nice. I was surprised. lol

It still makes me sooo mad that they don't give everybody their 800 number. What a bunch of crap. They make sooo much money off their sub-primers. We won't let them treat us like crap for long. Us sub-primers are fighting back!!!

Kelly