Household Bank Repo

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by iamsamiam, Nov 14, 2001.

1. iamsamiam

iamsamiam Well-Known Member

Had a repo from Household bank in 1998, amount owed after they sold the car was $4718. I moved a couple of years ago after a lot of my charge-offs and this repo happened. I have noticed that when I disputed some of my accounts with the cb's that I started getting collection letters and calls again. I am really scared to try and dispute this HB account because I certainly cannot afford to pay them the $4k and they were really nasty about all of this when it happened. The worst collectors I have ever had after me. There was is also a 30 day late and a 60 day late on this account. They last reported to the cb's this month, so obviously they have not forgotten about me. Any tips?

2. ohnostuck

ohnostuck Well-Known Member

Just because you dispute does not mean that you have to pay them anything? I don't get your posts. You don't ever have to pay them anything unless they sue you, and even then you don't really have to unless they go after your taxes or get your wages.

3. iamsamiam

I understand that, but if they did decide to start bothering me again and civil judgement against me sure would not help my reports. They finally left me alone after two years of constant hounding, I would like to keep the peace.

4. ohnostuck

ohnostuck Well-Known Member

A good way to keep the peace would be to send the estopal letter (do a search for it) request in the letter that you request that they only contact you via mail, if you want to be contacted at all). In the same letter request that they validate the debt, with something bearing your signature. Send it certified mail with return reciept, keep track of all your communucations with them. Oh and leave out the signed with my hand part at the end.

5. Momof3

Momof3 Well-Known Member

You really need to research this farther. Everyone is very quick to tell you to send off the infamous letter but sometimes that can bite you in the butt:(

6. author_22

author_22 Well-Known Member

When I started disputing, three of the collectors started mailing and calling again after 2-6 years without it.

Each call, I would tell them I don't discuss these matters, and if they got nasty, I would say "Let me get my lawyer to call you". That would stop it.

I just ignore the letters. Russell Collection and Medclr are real letter freaks.

7. danrs

danrs Well-Known Member

Check for the statute of limitations for your state. If it was repoed in 98, you could be getting close to the statute of limitations, after which time, they can bother you all they want, but you don't have to do anything, except at that time send them the cease and desist letter.

If you send it before that time, and they can find you, you may run a fair chance of getting sued yourself. They may do it for that much money.

I ran into the same thing with a car repo. They verified time after time, and I finally got it off one of my reports by filing suit against the CRA's, and one other by dispute. The 3rd report still shows it, but I'm going to let it be and not rock the boat. Two outa Three ain't bad, as they say, and if I hound them, they may find a way to get it back on the other two reports.

I'd let it slide until the limitations run out, then stick it to them!

8. iamsamiam

I checked the SOL and it is 5 years on a written contract. The credit report says date of status was 3-1998, I will hit 4 years in March then and still have one year to go so that is not an option. When I did other disputes apparently the ca was given my new address because they started in on me again after 2 years of peace. I think this one is better left alone for now.