Household Limit Increases

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by Mega, Aug 10, 2003.

1. Mega

Mega Member

I have the regular Household Mastercard (white with blue bubbles, horrendous looking) that I was sent in response to a pre-approved offer a while back. They pulled EXP and gave me a $300 limit, my lowest limit, by far, of any card.

This limit is so low, the card is totally unuseable. I tried clicking on the 'submit balance transfer' button on the website, thinking perhaps I could bump up the limit with a BT, but it said "You are currently not eligible for this feature". Fabulous.

I called customer service and asked them for a limit increase. Rejected, account too new. My EXP is currently 695.

This seems like a complete loose-loose situation. I don't even use this card, the balance sits at zero...it's worthless to me. At the same time, I've got many other cards with CL's of $5,000, $9000, $7,500, etc. and then there is this one "toy" card with a $300 limit, seems like it will screw me up on future initial credit lines.

What should I do? Just leave it there and hope they raise my credit at sometime in the future? Or should I close it, insuring that this embarassing $300 limit card stays on my report for the next 10 years...?? Will it still affect my initial credit lines if it is reported as closed?

Or does anyone have a secret for getting Household to wake up and reconsider your limit? I'd happily sacrifice a hard inquiry to get this card up where it ought to be..

2. miles

miles Well-Known Member

Hi, Mega. Sorry to hear how stingy Household is being with your account. If it were me, I'd close the account and be done with it. I think it would be better to have it on your report for 10 years as opposed to 20 if you don't close it soon. LOL I don't think they will upgrade it to a prime card. When you start subprime with most companies, that is how they will always view you.
    You have great credit limits (congrats) so the $300 is basically an insult at this point of your credit journey. Good luck with your decision!