How difficult is to get an Cha

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by tony, Oct 15, 2000.

1. tony

tony Guest

Have a few store cards...no negative marks on Credit Report...have a Providan Classic $1400 limit...wanted to apply for a Chase Manhattan Gold Card 5.99% intro for six months,13.99% variable thereafter......want to get $5,000 credit line....Does anyone know how good your credit how to be, to get this kind of card from them???? thanks a lot...

2. roni

roni Well-Known Member

RE: How difficult is to get an

If you have no negatives you will get the card. Question: Sorry everyone for asking but Tony do you have the Citibank gold card????

3. tony

tony Guest

Re: RONI...no i do not have the Citibank Gold card, is that a better choice -then to Chase perhaps.?....thanks!

4. roni

roni Well-Known Member

u r kidding right?

Tony
    I ask that because this card has been the topic of this board for one month. I had never seen your name here at least not in a while and just thought I would ask. Let me briefly explain to what has occured. I applied for a Citibank card about 3 weeks above and received an instant approval. I have paid collections all over my credit report. But I have stable income and residence etc. But nevertheless, the limit was 9K. That gave me the nerve to apply for the gold card and guess what? i got that card too. I just used it about 2 hours ago. Also 9K limit. If you have no negatives you will get the card. Granted you have other positives like full time job, renting an apartment or owning, car info may help, over 21 etc. I have the Chase classic card, and I have the Citibank AAdvantage card and the Citibank AAdvantage Gold Card. Many of us here were approved for these two cards. Any questions?

5. ble103

ble103 Guest

Chase does have tight credit requirements.Your debt to income ratio is one,and too short of a credit history would also cause them to decline your application.If you have no negatives,and a low debt load you should have no problem on obtaining a credit card from chase.Also you must have a min. of $25K to be considered for the gold account.

6. RichGuy

RichGuy Guest

Chase is Clearly Better

There's no doubt that the Chase card is better. Compare the 13.99% APR to the 19.4% APR on the Citibank card. Look at the $85 annual fee on the Citibank card.

The only issues working in favor of the Citibank card would be credit limits and the ease of obtaining the card. Roni got a gold card with a $9000 limit after being declined for very ordinary cards like Target and Macy's. However, others have reported limits of $2000 or $2500.

Roni did us a service by telling us about a card that is (for now) incredibly easy to get. However, she and others have gotten carried away about this one card, which isn't a true prime card.

Except for a possible high credit limit, and mileage rewards you may not want, it's a borderline subprime card. The APR of 19.4% is much closer to a Providian Visa Classic at 23.99% than to a Capital One Platinum Visa at 9.9%. The annual fee of $85 gives Citibank a clear incentive to lower the acceptance standards for the card.

If you prefer the Citibank rewards, or think you can't qualify for the Chase card, then by all means apply for the Citibank card. It's better than your subprime cards, and mine as well. But please don't get caught up in this ridiculous hysteria, based on the false notion that the easier card to get is the better card to have.

7. roni

roni Well-Known Member

How could you????

Some people just dont get it. I am tired of everyone telling me what my intensions are and what I am thinking. Geez. I need a break here.

8. roni

roni Well-Known Member

One better.

And since you know so much about me you would know that Chase also gave Roni a credit card when like you said just about everyone else turned me down. Why did I even tell you people that everyone else turned me down. Maybe it was to give others the nerve and incentive to try for the card. True enough it is not a gold card but it is still a card and I was encouraged to apply for the gold card in about 60 days which I might do. So what is your opinion about that. Let me be honest, I am not interested in your opinion or anyone elses opinion here. I am just tired of reading my name associated with everything about Citibank. I enjoy the fact that people are getting the card. It is not because I think this card is great. But like I said, most of us here were complaining about getting measly little $200 increases from Capital one a few weeks ago. Most of us were hopeful for our first increases from Providian also. This card as subprime as you may think it is gonna change my life significantly. My point is this I do not see how mentioning my situation in the last post had any real relevance. Let me make this perfectly clear, I am about as sick of some of you here as you are of me.

9. roni

roni Well-Known Member

RE: One better.

That should Change my credit life significantly. I felt a need to correct that. I can only imagine how some of you would pick that little statement apart.

10. RichGuy

RichGuy Guest

RE: One better.

Roni, as you often do, you took my message harder than was necessary. Let me make a few reasoned points to someone who makes $93,000 a year at a professional job:

(1) I mentioned Target and Macy's for exactly the same reason you did, which was to show that the Citibank card is unusually easy to get.

(2) Tony asked about the Chase Gold card, so your acceptance for the Chase Classic card was irrelevant. The standards could be quite different.

(3) Tony clearly asked which card was better, yet you pointed him to the Citibank site as if the question had already been settled for a month. I mentioned a few facts that are easily available. When others mentioned them in the past, you referred to their motives: they were "trying to rain on my parade" or something like that. Yet the facts remain. Those facts are the only way to answer Tony's question.

(4) I mentioned the obvious positives about the Citibank card: possible high limit, easy to get. Those are exactly the positives you chose to mention. I also mentioned, without questioning your word, that some others have gotten lower limits. Does that in any way take away from your own enjoyment of two $9,000 cards? I think not. But it does help Tony and others to make reasonable decisions about a major financial commitment.

(5) You really have gotten carried away with this Citibank hysteria. I refer to your post on 10-14, entitled "Chickens." You stated that if someone has "not applied for at least the reg Citibank Aadvantage mastercard, you are a big chicken." That goes way beyond answering questions. You (or someone using your name) was throwing gasoline on the fire. This is not a lottery. Everyone, without exception, should carefully examine the terms of a credit contract before entering into that contract. I cited facts to help Tony and others do just that.

Again, I appreciate your sharing your experiences with everyone. Some others may not have appreciated your personal remarks that detracted from your generous posts. Yet your information was valuable to many people. I believe mine was valuable as well.

11. roni

roni Well-Known Member

HOW NICE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

That was so nice of you to take the time to tell me your opinions all over again. For the record. I DONT GIVE A @!#$.