How do I dispute these accts??

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by Linda, Apr 15, 2001.

1. Linda

Linda Well-Known Member

If someone could please, please answer my questions about just one scenerio on my credit reports then I would know how to handle my credit disputes. For this example I have an original creditor that charged off the account and then sold it to a collection agency which has since passed it on to another collection agency.

Discover Financial Services -
    Status: Acct charged off/Past due 180 days. $1,977 written off in 7/98. $962 past due as of 7/98.
    Account History: Charge off as of 7/98, 7/98, 6/98, 4/98, 9/97, 3/98, 7/97, 3/97 to 6/97
    Recent balance: says "NA"
    Creditors statement: Purchased by another company.

*** Notice the two 7/98 entries and also what's with the "3/97 to 6/97" entry? How many times can an account be charged off?? ***

Collections #1 - Gulf State - $1997 - placed 3/97 (matches last activity date for original acct), says Greenwood Trust Company

*** Does this mean Discover sold it to Greenwood Trust who then sold it to Gulf State? ***

Collections #2 - Asset Accept - $2,829 - placed 5/98, says Discover

*** Does this mean they've re-aged the acct? It should say 3/97 instead of 5/98, right? ***

Additional questions:

Asset Accept has been sending me monthly collection attempt letters for about 18 months now which I've never responded to. Is it too late to demand validation from them?

It seems clear to me that Gulf State and Asset Accept are duplicate accounts but I'm not clear if the original Discover acct is also considered a duplicate because the balance says "NA". Which of these accounts can letitimately be listed on my reports?

Thanks for reading, Linda

2. breeze

breeze Well-Known Member

Re: How do I dispute these acc

Greenwood Trust was Discover at that time. So, Greenwood Trust is your original creditor.

breeze

3. Linda

Linda Well-Known Member

Breeze

Thanks, now I know where that Greenwood Trust reference comes from. As if things weren't confusing enough. - Linda

4. Linda

Linda Well-Known Member

Lizardking

Thanks for your response. You said "Ok, get copies of each credit report. Write up a dispute letter where you clearly explain that the 3 accounts are all really the same account. Demand that the duplicates be deleted. This is the law. It will happen if you write your letters clearly enough."

Are you saying that the law says all three accounts should be removed?? Sorry if it seems like I keep asking the same questions but I don't think this specific point is being addressed. Shouldn't at least one of them be allowed to report to the credit bureau, and if so how is it determined which one (original, CA#1, or CA#2) is allowed to be entered on my credit report?

Also, I can't seem to find a yes or no answer to this: If the original credit reports zero (or n/a) balance and a collection reports a balance due is that considered a duplicate?

Thanks for posting the validation letter.

Linda

5. Bill Bauer

Bill Bauer Guest

Re: Lizardking

You are making a somewhat serious mistake in thinking here.
    No matter whether you use Lizerd King's validation letter or you use mine, you should demand validations from each and every one at the same time. That puts them in a much tighter bind if you make your demand for validation fit stronger criteria than is currently being advocated. Any reliance upon the FCRA as your source of authority for your demand is a very "weak sister" approach because the FCRA is in itself a weak sister.

The problem with using the FCRA is that you are basically in the positon of trying to mudwrestle alligators while treding water in the swamp. The alligators are very familiar with the swamp and are well adapted to getting their lunch there all the time. You need to drag the monsters out of their favorite feeding grounds and on to higher legal ground where they are totally unfamilier with the environment.

I've got to go to a family affair now, so I'll get backwith more later.

Bill Bauer

6. judyputy

judyputy Well-Known Member

Bill

I have a question. Are you offering to help? If so, can you give us your letter that you would send? I get confused when you start saying how it "should" be done and then go off on some analogy about alligators in the swamp??

You say that Linda is making a serious mistake. Give us your letter and let us know what sorce other than the FCRA should be used. Lewt us know how to do it.... how to "drag then out of their favorite feeding grounds".

judy

7. Ender

Ender Well-Known Member

Re: Bill

I agree with you Judy.. it would be better off not to say anything at all.

As for this situation: I have the similar situation and am handling it as LK has suggested to you Linda.. I just recently sent validations to all the collection agencies and original creditors. Instead of only doing what LK suggested of sending it to only the last collectoin, I would send it to all of the ones listed negatively.. it doesn't hurt, only costs another dollar per certified letter.

As for the CRA, dispute as duplicates.. what I found on my report was that Equifax is the only one that doesn't intentially list them as duplicates.. what I mean by that, is that hte other ones actually list "Sold" or "Transferred", etc. Then the new "creditor" which is really a collection lists the account with different account numbers. The only way I could tell it was the same was by the mail that they send me.

I plan on sending copies of my CR with the highlighted items as well as copies of the letters that say this company took over this debt and etc. So that will show they are all the same thing to the CRA.. hopefully this way, they will all get removed and only one will remain..

Also, right now I am sending disputes to the CRA disputing ALL of it.. claiming they are either NOT MINE Or NOT ACCURATE.. and staggering these 2 weeks later with the CRA.

8. breeze

breeze Well-Known Member

I'm confused...

What is the difference in Bill talking about his services on here, and Lexington and Junum talking about their's? No one seems to object to *them*.

breeze

9. Linda

Linda Well-Known Member

Sounds like a plan!

Thanks everyone,

Lizardking - you're last response about looking like I'm a deadbeat times 3 finally made it clear to me. I was beginning to dispair. Glad you took the time to rephrase what you probably said the first time.

Ender Wigg - I've already got round one in process disputing as not mine or not accurrate. I should be receiving my first results within the next week or two. I do like the idea of sending that validation letter to all my collection accounts though, instead of just the last one. At least to the ones that come back as being verified. I also don't see as how it can hurt anything since I'm more or less going to get their attention when the account is being reinvestigated.

Judyputy - I've always liked a good cliff hanger (referring to Bill's post) but time's a wasting so I'm going forward with the previous suggestions as they've gotten results for other people. I will admit I'm curious so I'll be checking back later for the next chapter. I'm betting you have to pay to get the answer.

Bill Bauer - Am I correct about having to pay to find out?

Linda

10. breeze

breeze Well-Known Member

Re: I'm confused...

Well, I don't like Lexington - they did nothing for me in an entire year, except get paid. But I don't blow up every time I see them post on here.

I really don't have any particular interest to defend, but I think there is some inconsistency in attitude.

breeze

11. LKH

LKH Well-Known Member

I completely agree with LK. Also, I don't recall Lexington or Junum pushing their services here. Jason from Lexington has on occassion posted here when there was a question or gripe to try to answer the questions. Junum, I don't believe has ever pushed their services here. Personally, I don't care if someone pushes their goods here, but, if you say you are doing something wrong and you're going to screw it up if done your way, then at least tell them the correct way to do it, don't just leave them wondering.

12. breeze

breeze Well-Known Member

whatever

13. NanaC

NanaC Well-Known Member

Ok, I see it that Bill advertised, Lexington (sorry I'm too new to have seen anything but users of Junum post) answers questions but I don't see a URL at the bottom of their posts.

Just MHO.