How do I respond?? (letter from CA)

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by debtchoked, Aug 4, 2003.

1. debtchoked

debtchoked Well-Known Member

I received a letter (quite nasty I might add!!) from a CA. It is for a record club account. According to the letter, I owe $103 for merchandise I received. I have never received any merchandise from them except the initial CD's that I paid for over 3 years ago.

Neither the CA nor the OC has reported anything on any of my bureau reports. I've ignored previous letters, but this one seems quite a bit nastier. I would like to respond, but I'm not sure exactly which letter to use.

Any help would be appreciated.

2. TeeBee

TeeBee Well-Known Member

I was in the same situation several months ago for a dvd club that I think my ex-roommate signed me up for (I don't have a dvd player, she does). I sent the CA a validation letter, then estoppel letter. That was back in April - I've not heard from them since and there's nothing on my CRs. Guess they crawled back under their rock. Have you requested validation from them yet?

3. debtchoked

No, I haven't done anything yet. I just received the letter last Friday (8/1). Did you send a validation letter similar to one of the letter examples on this site? If so, which one?

Thanks for your feedback.

4. lbrown59

lbrown59 Well-Known Member

5. debtchoked

You were EXTREMELY helpful!! Thank you very much--I just love this forum!

debtchoked

6. GEORGE

GEORGE Well-Known Member

It does not have my FAVORITE STATEMENT---->WILLFUL NON-COMPLIANCE!!!

:)

7. thetruth

thetruth Member

When you send the Request for Validation letter to a Collection Agency there is never a need to list an account number, since there is no account agreement between you and the C.A.! Be sure to include a copy of the inquiry that they sent you with your request for validation, but never cite an account number.

8. lbrown59

lbrown59 Well-Known Member

Others: What's your opinion on this?

9. debtchoked

bump

10. tiger00

tiger00 Well-Known Member

Citing the account number doesn't tie you to the agreement. The CA has assigned the account number to you in order to track the account paid/unpaid/challenged or otherwise. I wouldn't include my SS# however, as this makes their work a little too easy.