How do you know when an offer

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by CCMax, Jan 9, 2001.

1. CCMax

CCMax Guest

Since Iâ??ve got a lot of inquiries lately and trying to get a mortgage, I was pretty set on not trying to acquire any more credit. Iâ??m in subprime hell. But I got two "preapproved" offers yesterday, and Iâ??m confused about them. The first is Cap One Gold. I know that gold means nothing, but this offer had a reservation number and some access code. The form was really short, didnâ??t even ask for my SSN. It basically asked me to sign and return, call an 800-number or goto a web site to get the card.

The other, which came in my married name (I usually hyphenate or use maiden) was from Sears. It had a credit processing number sticker on it and the envelope was addressed to "New Accounts Center." But it asked for my SSN and other information. I applied for the Sears card months ago (using my hyphenated surname--and yes, my CRs were so bad I got denied) Things have improved a bit--no open delinquent accts and four active trade lines, but why would they turn around and give me this so-called "preapproved" offer when they just denied me a few months ago?

I donâ??t know if Iâ??m willing to risk another inquiry on Sears, but I thought Iâ??d ask if the way these offers came in tells me anything about how sure I am to get the cards. Oh yeah, I got another alumni card offer, you know the $100K limit, 2.9 APR, that looked mighty inviting, but obviously not something Iâ??m qualified for. Other than the obvious signals, how do you know what you really have a shot at getting?

2. jamie

jamie Well-Known Member

RE: How do you know when an of

CCMax - My husband got the same thing from Cap 1. He had just been approved for a Gold with $200 limit on-line. 2 days later got this in the mail. Applied on-line again using the cert number and was instantly approved for $2000. Got both in the mail the same day (7-10) I'd say go for it. Sears, is another story. They are really hard to get if you have any flaws. I'd wait on that one. Besides the interest rate on Cap 1 is lower and works just as well as a Sears card.

3. Brandon

Brandon Guest

I can only comment on the Sears Card application. Sears I believe hires an outside company that looks over the general information the credit bureau and sends the applications out for Sears based on that decision alone, not by the meat of your credit bureau. Sears is very hard to get and if you have any type of report variation or delinquency I would say no way. Generally you would want to wait 9 months before applying again with that company.

4. Momof3

Momof3 Well-Known Member

Most true offers ONLY require a signature, but remember they wil still pull your report, this is if you are worried about inquires. I received a preapproval from Sears and it ONLY required my signature and I did get the card. I wouldn't bother with the sears one.

mom

5. sam

sam Well-Known Member

RE: cap1 is really pre-approve

I mean like you will get it.

I had a cap 1 secured , and got $500 limit on their gold unsecured product.

I asked the lady, she said its a good as done if you have the reservation number.

6. Donna

Donna Well-Known Member

The gold card offer you received from Cap One sounds very similar to the one I received six months ago and I took the respond online option.

The response was quick and I did get the card. Initially, my credit limit was $500 but it was raised to $3000 within three months. The increase came in the mail. I didn't even ask.

Anyway, if you need the credit, go ahead and apply. I'm sure you'll get the card.

7. GEORGE

GEORGE Well-Known Member

I had a reservation # and access code and was denied. All it cost was one inquiry.
    :(

8. Doug

Doug Well-Known Member

Cap 1 famous for pulling all 3 reports.

9. S.D.

S.D. Guest

Is Macys easy to get?

10. sam

sam Well-Known Member

Yes.

If you have no bad credit.
    and a phone in your name, its very easy to qualify for their $100-$200 line.

11. S.D.

S.D. Guest

Damn, I don't have a phone in my name or good credit. Well, I have an unpaid charge off, and I'm in the process of building my credit. Had the Providian Gold for two months, and the Aria Persona (your favorite =P)for about two weeks. I'm waiting on my CapOne secured to get here. Maybe another week or so? Maybe I shouldn't waste an inquiry with Macys if my credit isn't in good shape...at least not yet?

12. Cadillac408

Cadillac408 Well-Known Member

I would wait on Macy's then. To me, it smells like a denial.

And FYI.......

When I use to work there, I did and instant credit application for a lady that had NO credit on her file but had verifiable information (i.e. phone in her name, etc.) and they gave her a $50 limit! $50!!!!

13. S.D.

S.D. Guest

Thanks, MP$40. I'll pass. Hey, you know you're getting trashed by Jim right? I haven't seen you respond to any of his posts above. I got your back, girl!

14. Cadillac408

I know.

15. Momof3

Momof3 Well-Known Member

Hey girl. don't even sweat the small stuff:)
    Shake it off and move on. Hey I guess it is your turn LOL:)

Mom

16. Cadillac408

I sent you an email Mom...