How long do I have to pay for BR

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by louie, Nov 12, 2001.

1. louie

louie Member

I filed chapter 7 Bankruptcy in Jan. of 1996.
    I have student loans that I have ben paying on since the BR but the only cards I can get are the subprime cards with the outrageous fees and interest rates and no real line of credit.

Future Card credit line 250 opened over a year agao never could get them to raise the credit
    Centennal credit line of 550 opened 6 months ago started with 450 and was raised to 550.

I have pulled my reports and all the bad credit is from the BR the only mistake on my report are some of my farther's cards are showing up on my report Discover with 10000 limit never late
    Where do I go from here

2. Mirage

Mirage Well-Known Member

At this point you can dispute the derogs on your report. Removing the bk is tough. I suggest you do a search here as many posters have posted on life after bk.

If you filed in 1996, things ought to look better for you by now. Have you try to obtain a Cap 1 card?

Also what's your FICO? As I too filed in 1996 and my FICO has gotten to the point where my credit has skyrocketed in the last 12 months.

Best regards,
    Mirage

3. QUEEN_BEE

QUEEN_BEE Well-Known Member

Do you live at the same address you lived at when you filed for the BK?

4. louie

louie Member

I tryed for a Cap one for 500 on the condition that I sent in a 49.00 processing fee or some thing like that which I sent in but they claim they never received.

My fico according to trucredit is 623 Fair according to them.

I no longer live at the same address from when I filed BR Does that make a deference?

Also when reading deferent post on this board I have seen references to black list by credit card companies does this mean since I had a citibank credit card when I filed BR I can never get one again

5. Mirage

Mirage Well-Known Member

Citibank does have a blacklist. As to ever having a card from them if your ever default on Citibank, there is much debate here on the list.

At this point I too bk on Citibank and will not try to apply until that derog is lifted (in 11/2002).

I encourage you to re-apply for Cap 1.

Your accounts need a little time for aging. If you can get your FICO into the mid 600's try for the Target Visa or the Target Guest Card.

You should get a retail card of some sort. As mentioned on this board a retail cc will enhance your FICO score.

Best regards,
    Mirage

6. Fat Jake

Fat Jake Well-Known Member

I also filed Chapter 7 in jan of 1996. I had small student loans. I paid them off in full in 1997 and they fell off. I have only subprime cards too. Providian/Getsmart/CapitalOne/DMB/Target Guestcard. I started with First primier which had outrageous rates, then dumped them when Providian came along. For now get a Providian card, they get a bad rep here (at times) but they give REAL limits which is important and you can write in to request a lower APR.

That Discover is probably hurting you in this case because it looks like you have ALOT of credit, when you apply for credit.

When do your oldest entries included in the Chapter 7 fall off? I'm just curious, mine fall of early 2003

7. louie

louie Member

<<When do your oldest entries included in the Chapter 7 fall off? I'm just curious, mine fall of early 2003>>
    The entries included in the Chapter 7 should fall off in Jan of 2003 the Chapter should fall off in 2006.
    Also I am curirous as to why some entries state included in Chapter 7 and others say charged off written off as bad debt ect.

<<You should get a retail card of some sort. As mentioned on this board a retail cc will enhance your FICO score.>>

What would anyone recomend ? I have ben turned down by Shop at Home, Exxon, Amex Green. Get Smart, Rate Rewards.

8. Mirage

Mirage Well-Known Member

louie, as for a retail cc try Target's guest card. It's driven by FICO but a score of over 600 is needed. Target also reports to the CRAs.

Best regards,
    Mirage