How long should it take...

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by jamie, Jan 13, 2001.

1. jamie

jamie Well-Known Member

How long should it take to unsecure a Capitol One card? My hubby has Mastercard. 2+ years old. Never Late, or over limit. Its only 49 bucks, but he asked in writing 2 months ago and they never acknowledged his request. They did however, increase his limit to $800 and gave him a gold card with a $2200 limit. But nothing on the deposit?

2. dave

dave Well-Known Member

You can expect your capital one account to become unsecured within 30-40 years. I got tired of waiting and closed mine after I maintained a very good account history for six years.

3. miles

miles Well-Known Member

LOL. That's funny, dave. The sad part is many times, it is true. I is very hard for many to unsecure their cards with Capital One. Many have stated they closed the secured account and then applied for an unsecured card. Most were approved. You may want to try this tactic.Good luck Jamie!

4. RichGuy

RichGuy Guest

The gold card, if unsecured, was their way of unsecuring his account. They have a mentality of "once subprime, always subprime," which applies to existing accounts. The best way around that is opening a new account, which fortunately they have already done for you. I recommend closing the older account and keeping the gold card.

There have been exceptions to their policy, particularly with secured MasterCards, that people have reported on this board. I find this inexplicable, since secured cardholders usually start out with worse credit. Maybe your husband's credit is too good to qualify for an exception. :)

5. Wind

Wind Guest

I have had a CapOne secured card for a 13 months. ($1100 limit by now 01/2001) They told me that I should call again in six months and instead request a credit limit increase, request to unsecured my card.

I will do that next June.

6. roni

roni Well-Known Member

And then they wont give you another increase until 6 months after they unsecure the card. They stall like no one else. Except Orchard.

roni

7. molly

molly Well-Known Member

Simpley call them up and say what's the deal I've had the card 2+ years why isn't it unsecured? I did this one month before my card was 2 years old and they unsecured it for me. They wouldn't increase the limit though, the rep said they can only do one transaction a day. He told me to call back the next day and ask for an increase. I waited about a month and they said they couldn't do it because it hasn't been unsecured long enough. I am waiting for the 3 month mark then call again.