how many cards in your wallet

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by ero2, Aug 16, 2003.

1. ero2

ero2 Well-Known Member

or purse right now? I was looking in my wallet today and I have 6 including my ATM card, and was wondering if it is not a good idea to carry around that many cards at a time? Just curious how many everyone else has on them at any given time.

2. DHK

DHK Well-Known Member

I have 3 ATM & Check cards - 1 Wescom CU, Wells Fargo and BofA.

I also have 5 credit cards (just for safekeeping on me versus leaving them at home) - Citibank, Chase, BofA, Wells Fargo and Chevron.

3. thickman66

thickman66 Well-Known Member

I have 8 bank credit cards.

4. luxury4me

luxury4me Well-Known Member

I carry 6 cards with me. My amex, a visa, a mc, Lord & Taylor, Saks, and an ATM.

5. steve

steve Well-Known Member

7 credit cards and 1 ATM card, no dept. store cards.

6. Marie

Marie Well-Known Member

If I'm just running errands, Amex, Plat Visa, and QT for gas. I used to carry a lot of cards, but a friend got robbed at gunpoint and had only 2 cards in his wallet.

It was so quick and easy to cancel those 2, that he was able to cancel them before the robbers even tried to buy gas on his visa.

Now I take fewer cards, but more hidden cash. On a trip I'll take more cards though

7. faztcobra

faztcobra Well-Known Member

4 for me.

My ATM card, Sears, Providian, and BofA. Recently canceled Crap1. I'm gonna try and get one more to replace the canceled Crap 1 though. That was a $3500 hit to my available credit. Gonna try and find a new one that'll give me at least $5k-$7.5k.

8. RichGuy

RichGuy Well-Known Member

Only an ATM card in my wallet. I leave all my credit cards at home unless I plan to make a specific purchase.

9. cibomatto

cibomatto Well-Known Member

I have 5 credit cards and two Visa Debits..
    I keep one CC and one Visa debit in my wallet

10. Peachkiwi

Peachkiwi Well-Known Member

I carry 6 including debit card.

11. mel

mel Well-Known Member

I have 11 Credit Cards/Debit Cards but I only carry around 2. The debit card that links to my main checking account and my lowest limit card (a $1000 secured card). If I lose my wallet or get jacked at gunpoint - both of which have happened to me before - I minimize my losses. In addition it actually makes me think about purchases and even if I do charge, I have the money...

12. Hedwig

Hedwig Well-Known Member

In my wallet, I carry my ATM card and one credit card. However, I have another little zipper thingy (not really a wallet, but a small pouch) that I keep all the rest of my cards in. I keep that in my purse. Then I have another small wallet with my corporate credit card and all of my cards (ID, not credit) for all of the airline and hotel frequent flier/frequent guest programs.

So unless someone takes my entire purse, they only get part of my cards.

13. Platinum

Platinum Well-Known Member

Amex Blue everyday...other cards just occasionaly...

14. courtney

courtney Active Member

I have six - an Amex Green, a Citibank Platinum, debit card (Visa), and three store charge cards for department stores I frequent.

15. RichC

RichC Well-Known Member

3:

AAdvantage Citi MasterCard
    BofA Debit Card (Visa)
    BankOne Visa (Company Card)

Not too bad I guess

16. iambroke

iambroke Well-Known Member

1 checkcard
    1 Texaco card
    and that's it!!!

Well plus my blockbuster card, my insurance card, my Sam's card.

I keep all my CC's in a drawer at home so I don't use them on the spur of the moment. Less spending that way.

17. iambroke

iambroke Well-Known Member

But if they steal your checkcard it is your cash too.
    No type of credit card protection like a Visa card.

That is what I'm afraid of but I love my checkcard as it's so convenient too. Plus my bank offers full replacement of fraudulant charges if I report it within 2 business days of being lost/stolen BUT it can take up to 10 days to get my money back. So far (knock on wood) for the past 6 yrs I've had it I haven't had it lost or stolen.

Check your checkcard disclosure agreement to make sure you can recoup any fraudulant charges if it is stolen. Cash out of your account is harder to get back then fraudulant credit card transactions.

18. Amy B

Amy B Well-Known Member

DK.....any tips on WF re: applying for biz credit?

19. GEORGE

GEORGE Well-Known Member

ALL I CAN SAY IS CASH------>$0.00 (NEVER HAVE--NEVER WILL)

And my wallet was bought like 2+ years ago

20. ero2

ero2 Well-Known Member

The way to make sure this doesn't happen is do what I did, today when I opened a new checking account at union bank of california, I asked for only an ATM card, no debit allowed, that way if someone gets my wallet, they can't go on a spending spree with my cash, and all of my CCs cover me for fraudulent use, so I should always be okay. Just my .02$ cents.