how many cards in your wallet

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by ero2, Aug 16, 2003.

1. iambroke

iambroke Well-Known Member

Yes, that is a good idea....but I found alot of banks here in my area said "no we don't just issue ATM card" when I tried opening account with them. So, I stick with my CU which does give me the option.
    I just like the checkcard for convenience purposes but what you did is really a smart thing to do.

2. ero2

ero2 Well-Known Member

I agree that I will miss having the check card for emergencies, but also I would rather it be a little harder to use for me because it will be that much harder for a thief to use. Also, I am aware that MANY banks will no longer give you just an ATM card, like BofA and the little bank my new paypal checking account is with, but i am happy that union bank does:)

3. faztcobra

faztcobra Well-Known Member

Re: Re: how many cards in your wallet

Thanks to the debit card, I don't think I've had more than $20 on me at any given time over the last 3 years. It's not thief proof, but I feel fairly safe with it since my picture is on it.

4. catnap1972

catnap1972 Well-Known Member

5. ero2

ero2 Well-Known Member

yeah I have wanted to cancel my crap one for a while, but no one will let me(lol) because it is my oldest tradeline, lowest CL and highest apr(19.80%). So it stays in the sockdrawer until 2$ in gas goes on it once a year:)

6. catnap1972

catnap1972 Well-Known Member

It's still open...it just resides in the bottom of the freezer now (as opposed to my wallet where it takes up space). A taste of freezer burn might do it's snotty attitude a little good.

7. faztcobra

faztcobra Well-Known Member

Re: Re: Re: how many cards in your wallet

That is pure greatness! Should post that on PFB and see if you can get Mr Cooke to hook you up or you'll threaten to keep it that way forever.

8. iambroke

You don't know HOW many times I've used my checkcard at Walmart and nobody asks to see my card OR id....so I would wonder how safe having your picture on it is if they don't even look at it.

9. RichGuy

RichGuy Well-Known Member

Absolutely. Refuse their Visa "check card" and insist on an ATM card with a PIN.

"Check cards" are a racket in at least 3 ways; details available upon request.

10. GEORGE

GEORGE Well-Known Member

As a CHARGE or did you use PIN NUMBER???

If you made it a CHARGE (CREDIT)...they are SUPPOSED TO COMPARE SIGNATURE ON THE SIGNATURE STRIP WITH THE SIGNATURE ON THEIR COPY OR THE ID IF THE CARD IS NOT SIGNED...

PIN---NO ID...EVER

THE "PIN" IS THE ID

11. iambroke

Checkcard which is used as a "credit" transaction.

I push "credit" on the POS system and have to sign my name on the slip and no I don't use a PIN no.

Only time I use a PIN is when I withdraw from the ATM machine.

My credit union only allows my card to be used in a POS system as a "credit" transaction and I have to sign everytime.

I go to Walmart every week for groceries. I have been doing this for the past couple years and only twice have I been asked for my DL and my card to verify it's me. Sometimes I ask the cashier to verify my ID and she just looks at me like I'm crazy LOL

12. GEORGE

GEORGE Well-Known Member

Re: Re: Re: Re: how many cards in your wallet

I go to Walmart every week for groceries. I have been doing this for the past couple years and only twice have I been asked for my DL and my card to verify it's me. Sometimes I ask the cashier to verify my ID and she just looks at me like I'm crazy LOL

ID not required with a signed card...BUT IF YOU HAND THE CARD AND ID TO THE CASHIER AND SAY "CREDIT" AND RUN IT FOR ME ON YOUR KEYBOARD...THEY WILL LOOK AT YOUR ID AND CARD AND YOU CAN BE A HAPPY CAMPER...

YMMV

13. iambroke

Re: Re: Re: Re: how many cards in your wallet

Why is ID not required on a signed card?

I thought ID was required along with a credit card?

14. GEORGE

GEORGE Well-Known Member

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: how many cards in your wallet

NO!!!!!!!!!

SWIPE CARD
    APPROVAL CODE
    SIGN SIGNATURE SLIP
    COMPARE CARD SIGNATURE WITH STORE RECEIPT
    COMPARE NAME ON CARD WITH SIGNATURE ON BACK AND SIGNATURE ON STORE COPY

TRANSACTION COMPLETE...GIVE THE CUSTOMER THEIR "STUFF"

IF YOU WANT TO SHOW ID GO RIGHT AHEAD...BUT IT IS NOT REQUIRED ON A SIGNED CARD

15. iambroke

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: how many cards in your wallet

Ok, well numerous times I have swiped my card at the POS terminal and put it back into my wallet. The cashier doesn't even ask for my card to compare it to my signature. Isn't there something wrong with that? I welcome someone verifying my identity. There is so much fraud out there one would think verifying it by comparing my signature on my card to my signed slip isn't going to take that much time but it never happens.

16. GEORGE

GEORGE Well-Known Member

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: how many cards in your wallet

THEY ARE NOT DOING THEIR JOB...

POOR TRAINING...

SEND THEM TO MY STORE I WILL SET THEM STRAIGHT

17. iambroke

HA HA UH OH...LOL

Where's your store at...I'll kick them in the butt and send them that way LOL

18. GEORGE

GEORGE Well-Known Member

When I go on vacation I visit a few WAL*MART stores and I have to "EDUCATE" some cashiers from time to time...

"IF" you know what DMC FLOSS is...that is one point I have had to "EDUCATE" them on MANY TIMES!!! 25 different colors = 25 different bar codes...they scan one and hit enter 25 times or press 25 quantity and scan...WRONG!!! THEY THEN HAVE "NEGATIVE ON-HANDS"

Wife does needlepoint on vacation...

19. iambroke

I bet you have to educate them!

I used to be a publix cashier down here in Florida. We were taught to scan each individual item by type (IE different types of soups, keyed separately,) but I'm not a cashier anymore but still see alot of time the walmart cashiers doing just what you say. They scan one thing and hit enter how many times you have it even though it's different types but maybe the same brand. I can't imagine what their inventory looks like! It has to be messed up.
    I used to scan each item individually so as to not mess up the inventory.

20. lbrown59

lbrown59 Well-Known Member

"Check cards" are a racket in at least 3 ways;
    RichGuy
    =============
    1*?
    2*?
    3*?
    THE END ** *** ** LB 59
    """"```--~~~~~~~~~--```'""'''