How Many is Too many?

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by jfpruitt, Jul 25, 2001.

1. jfpruitt

jfpruitt Well-Known Member

I have 4 store cards: Target, Fbug, Sears, and BBuy and I have 4 CC: Providian, NextCard, Capital One, and First SD. That's 8 accounts total with a credit potential of $14000. I make $28000 a year. Is this too many cards and too much "potential debt"??? The only reason I'm keeping most of them is b/c they date back to 1995 when I first started establishing credit. i'm afraid if I close my old trade lines it will lower my score. What you guys think?

2. jfpruitt

any ideas?

3. Marie

Marie Well-Known Member

What's your goal and what are your scores now? Any derogs or are you just starting to build? How long have they been open? what's your limitis and balances?

4. jfpruitt

I have no derogs on my account, it is perfect. My goal is to increase my score. My TU score is 602, EX 635, EQ 641....The main reason for the low scores is b/c I have balances on all the cards, however, I recently paid ALL my cards off, so I dont which ones to keep for the future. Most of my cards are dated back in 1995. I'm hoping by paying off that debt and closing some of these accounts, my score will increase. What you think?

5. breeze

breeze Well-Known Member

Wait and see what your score is when these cards update on your report with no balances.

breeze