How much will it cost me to ..

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by kim, May 19, 2000.

1. kim

kim Well-Known Member

have one of the credit repair places to deal with the credit bureaus?

Here's my situation: I need to raise my credit score by July/August. ALL my collections are PIF. The last bill I paid off in April.

I'm not disputing that the bills are mine ~~ I just want my credit reports to reflect accurate info. As my other post states, Experian has one account listed three separate times and won't do anything to correct this.

Is it worth my time and money to have someone else try to get these items corrected?

Thanks,

Kim

2. Barry N -

Barry N - Guest

RE: How much will it cost me t

Kim,

I think it may take at least 90 days to see a rise in scores. Another factor to think about is having your loan officer run reports at the end of the month. There is some statics floating around that scores flucuate during the month, and the end of the month seems to be a peak.

As far as hiring a firm, I would suggest you consult with Kristi Feathers at Carreon & Associates. She is honest and will tell you like it is. She is invaluable and could be a great guide in your decision.

Also remember that a written dispute to CRA's can take as long as 90 days to complete. SO this too adds a factor in your timing.

Good Luck,

Barry Noret
    CreditMania.com, Inc.
    A Unique Personal Finance Portal
    http://creditmania.com
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    *About our suggestions:
    We respond to your questions and make
    no claims that our suggestions will fit
    your exact needs. This is for informational
    purposes only and should never be construed
    as legal advice.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

3. kim

kim Well-Known Member

Thanks for your advice. I will talk with my LO this weekend and also consult with Kristi.

4. Carreonand

Carreonand Guest

Hi Kim,
    I'll save you some time from writing me and answer you here. (Thanks Barry!-:)

As for your scores, they take time to rise and no one can say how long but it is usually 3-6 months of no negative data, low balances etc. I hate scores and never trust them. I have clients who start out at 530 and after they are all corrected they either shoot down or stay the same before they rise. Likewise I have people with good credit and their scores are almost the same as someone wih derog's. It's a numbers game and if you are waiting to see it rise, you'll be watching for a while.

When you say you are considering a professional to do this for you, consider this. Have you done all you can to correct it yourself? If not, is it really worth it for you to pay someone when you can literally be guided here for free? If your answer is- yes you have done all you can and can get no replies then besides the inaccurate data that EXP is reporting, I say it may be a waste of money because your reports may already be at the best possible (realistic status).

Now, on to EXP. They are one of the worst for getting the data correct. Did you contact them by mail and phone? Do you have receipts showing you attempted to correct the errors and were ignored? Have you filled out a quick little online complaint to the FTC? Have you sent valid proof of what they are reporting is incorrect?

It is time consuming but if you have done all this and they ignore you and have refused to correct your reports then hire someone just for those items, it is cheaper. Please choose wisely as many have been "Busted" for scams. (See www.anything4credit.com/fixing.htm)- Don't let them charge you fees in advance and be careful of what you sign! Afterall if you give someone power of attorney, they can really mess you up.

I have seen fly by night clinics write letters that a 4 year old could have done better with. If they represent themselves as you and stir up trouble, you could be stuck with the red flag in your file.

Also have you tried using different addresses to write to EXP? They reply differently from different addresses. Lastly, your letters to them carry a lot of weight if done right.

If you spout of the FCRA they tend to ignore you. If you use the forms they give you that yields little results as well. All of these little things add up to solve the puzzle. Basically, when you hire a pro you are only paying them to do the work that you donâ??t want to bother with. They have no better resources then you do if you read up on it.

If they claim too, theyâ??re lying. I say give it one more shot with all of the people here guiding you with free advice and if you get no where, hire a heavy hitter to act as your proxy and put some fire under their buns!

If they see that a proxy has stepped in on real legitimate disputes of inaccuracy, they have to comply. If they do not they risk even more lawsuits. Experian is one of the slowest to correct errors but let me tell you from experience, persistence pays off!

Best of luck!
    Thank You,
    Kristi Feathers
    CarreonandAssociates.com
    Your Credit & Debt Community
    Disclaimer: Our advice or free information is not to be construed as legal advice. If you need legal advice, please consult with an attorney. This information is general and may not fit your exact needs.

Kim wrote:
    -------------------------------
    have one of the credit repair places to deal with the credit bureaus?

Here's my situation: I need to raise my credit score by July/August. ALL my collections are PIF. The last bill I paid off in April.

I'm not disputing that the bills are mine ~~ I just want my credit reports to reflect accurate info. As my other post states, Experian has one account listed three separate times and won't do anything to correct this.

Is it worth my time and money to have someone else try to get these items corrected?

Thanks,

Kim

5. kim

kim Well-Known Member

Karen ~~ Thank you so much for your advice. I'm printing it out as we speak.

To answer one of your questions ~~ I usually call to dispute and talk with the reps at the agencies. Equifax and Transunion are very helpful and seem to do a decent job. I haven't had any difficulties with them, only Experian.

After I spoke with the rep at Experian, I called the original creditor (for the one that is listed 3 times) he gave me another number to call, to make this short the csr I spoke with told me that she would delete the first item, update the second to show transferred to the 3rd and the 3rd shows accurate info.

I always call both the creditor and the cra with my disputes figuring one of them will do the right thing.

Here's another question ~~ I called the above mentioned csr and she told me that she would update all 3 CRAs with accurate info; however, one of the agencies doesn't even have this particular account listed ~~ will this debt now be listed?

I really appreciate all the help.

KIm

6. Carreonand

Carreonand Guest

MMm, if the csr said they would update it to all three and it is currently not on all three, then mayvbe she does not know how many they actually report to. If they do report to all three and it gets added now, you may have to dispute that one too. Remember all three bureaus operate separate.

Kim wrote:
    -------------------------------
    Karen ~~ Thank you so much for your advice. I'm printing it out as we speak.

To answer one of your questions ~~ I usually call to dispute and talk with the reps at the agencies. Equifax and Transunion are very helpful and seem to do a decent job. I haven't had any difficulties with them, only Experian.

After I spoke with the rep at Experian, I called the original creditor (for the one that is listed 3 times) he gave me another number to call, to make this short the csr I spoke with told me that she would delete the first item, update the second to show transferred to the 3rd and the 3rd shows accurate info.

I always call both the creditor and the cra with my disputes figuring one of them will do the right thing.

Here's another question ~~ I called the above mentioned csr and she told me that she would update all 3 CRAs with accurate info; however, one of the agencies doesn't even have this particular account listed ~~ will this debt now be listed?

I really appreciate....