How to dispute name on CR?

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by JB, Jun 19, 2001.

1. JB

JB Well-Known Member

I just received my credit report and it lists all the names I have used such as my first and last name or my first name, middle initial, last name. That in itself is weird because on all legal stuff I always use my first name,middle initial, and last name.

Okay, but then it listed my mom's name. Not her full legal name. Casually she goes by her middle name and last name. On all legal documents she goes by the full name.

My credit report is fine. My mom has not been tampering with my credit. I have NO idea how they got that name listed in my report.

How do I dispute it and should I even bother? It does make it look like I used an aliases but I haven't and my credit has been repaired and is now good.

2. NanaC

NanaC Well-Known Member

My daughter just had this situation and so did her hubby. They called in and in each case the errors were removed immediately. That and addresses are the only things I'd ever call in for but it did work for them..and immediately, too.

3. wwwdenise

wwwdenise Member

"should even bother?"

Why WOULDN'T someone dispute an incorrect name on a credit report???

I ask in earnest.

4. judyputy

judyputy Well-Known Member

Somehow.... I can't imagine how... but Discover linked my father to my report in 1999. I recently found this out from experian while trying to get my score. I got a very nice rep who told me the name associated with the account and I knew it was my father and told THEM the ssn. They removed it immediately.

I called Experian after seeing "Variation in SSN" and his ssn listed again on an online report I ordered. I called the rep at Experian and she deleted it immediately. All I said was no way we have ever had anything together and besides he passed away 5 years ago. So in 1999 he was dead.

It was off when I check 2 hours later. Call them. You can probably get it off right away. If not they will tell you what to send for verification.