how to dispute SCAN??

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by Ender, May 2, 2001.

1. Ender

Ender Well-Known Member

Anyone know if SCAN is considered a credit bureau or are they merely a check verifying place for retail outfits? I have 5 entries in their system.. does anyone know what I can do with this? I called them to find out what the items are and they mailed me people I need to contact to take care of this.

Should I fight this from the source the entries or with them or both? Anyone have sample letters I can use to dispute with SCAN? Thanks in advance..

2. Ender

Ender Well-Known Member

anyone know? bump.

3. GEORGE

GEORGE Well-Known Member

SCAN is NOT a credit reporting agency.

They just track checks that are given to businesses...BOUNCED CHECKS ARE ON THEIR SYSTEM (EVEN ONES THAT ARE PAID IN FULL+ALL FEES)...for a given amount of time.

You MAY be denied a checking account, even if your first deposit is CASH.

4. MartysGirl

MartysGirl Well-Known Member

Sounds like A CHEXSYSTEMS....!!!!!!! THEY ALL SUCK IN MY BOOK....!!!!!

5. DaveLV

DaveLV Well-Known Member

They are a division of the same company as ChexSystems and when you pull your Chex report, the SCAN items are listed there as well. You might be able to dispute SCAN by going through Chex.

6. godaddyo

godaddyo Well-Known Member

You are able to dispute items with both scan and chex systems. Of course the easiest way is to negotiate with the bank to get them off.

godaddyo
    "live long and prosper"

7. Nave

Nave Well-Known Member

And your POINT IS? :)

-Dave

8. Kelly

Kelly Well-Known Member

I always thought SCAN just held records of unpaid checks. I know my mom-in-law is a check bouncer and once she pays them she can write checks again.

Does Krogers use SCAN. I know that's one of her bouncing places.

I have no idea how she keeps her checking account. Then again, the bank probably loves her, all those fees.

Kelly

9. godaddyo

I believe that the point is located somewhere at the top of my head. At least that is what my grandfather used to tell me. Anyways did I miss something. Dave?

godaddyo

10. godaddyo

"I have 5 entries in their system.. does anyone know what I can do with this? I called them to find out what the items are and they mailed me people I need to contact to take care of this".

Dave I believe that this is the question and I gave a reply to satisfy the question. Wouldnt you try to negotiate with the originator for removal first. There didnt seem to be enough information to make a greater point.

Godaddyo

11. DaveLV

DaveLV Well-Known Member

It was always my understanding (and I used to work in a retail store that used SCAN) that checks remained on SCAN until they were paid, and were removed at that time. I think the only way to get off SCAN is to negotiate payment when the retailers that put you there.

12. godaddyo

I think that I assumed it was a bank, but a retailer could be it to:)

Godaddyo

13. godaddyo

Banks report you to keep you from getting a new account with other banks that use SCAN. Retailers do it to. Its a good way to get a warrant out for your arrest!

Godaddyo

14. Kelly

Kelly Well-Known Member

DaveLV,

That's exactly what I thought. The items were removed from SCAN when paid.

I'm not too familiar with chex - but I thought once an entry is there, it's there for five years, whether or not it's paid.

Seems like two totally different types of systems.

Kelly

15. nursie

nursie Well-Known Member

SCAN reports bad checks, and clears when paid.
    CHEX reports bad bank accounts, and stays on for 5 years. They won't negotiate. You have to convince the bank to remove it, and they usually will if it closed with a zero or small balance.
    Neither show up on credit reports, but SCAN can stop you from getting a checking account.
    Your best action is to just pay what you owe. Then you're cleared.

16. Ender

Ender Well-Known Member

So this involves several steps. I would need to contact the people that SCAN tells me to contact, then ask them to remove my entry from SCAN. So once SCAN is completely clear, then I need to ask SCAN to remove themselves from Chex?? Jeez.. all this for checks that were never even written by me. I just want to get rid of these.. my organizer that had all my cards and checks, etc. was in my backpack when stolen a few years ago, and I find out there were checks written.. and to deal with all this?

Anyone know when things just drop out of SCAN? I know Chex is 5 years, so one more year it will be out of Chex.. but does that mean the SCAN entries in Chex will also drop or do those not have a limit?

17. Ender

Ender Well-Known Member

anyone?

18. nursie

nursie Well-Known Member

SCAN doesn't dispute. Whoever reported it must take it off.
    Here's my experience: Back in Sept. my bank erred on a deposit, & I bounced a check to WalMart. I sent a check & letter from the bank, but they refused the personal check. In the meantime, they sent it to the D.A. (thanks alot Wally World) and it's also on SCAN. I sent a money order to the D.A. in October. I recently found out that it was never cleared up. I called the D.A.'s office 4 times a day for 2 weeks, and I just got the letter today that they dismissed it. I called SCAN, and it's still on there. They won't take my proof. I have to take it in to WalMart & have them clear it. The guy at SCAN said that it takes them 2 days to get it off.

SCAN isn't like a credit agency, you can't wheel & deal with them. They're just like a data bank of bad checks.

BTW, to clarify, even though SCAN & CHEX are run by the same company, they are 2 different things. If you're on SCAN, the retailer reported you. If you're on CHEX, the bank reported you (not for bad checks, but for a bad account). In either case, you must have the person who reported you clear it up.

19. Ender

Ender Well-Known Member

Well, the reason why I bring up Chex is because on my Chex, I have SCAN reporting information on there as well saying there are items from SCAN found.

20. Ender

Ender Well-Known Member

Do u know if there is a time limit for SCAN? How about if I never write any checks to retail places anyway? Should I even bother clearing this with SCAN?