How To File State Complaint

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by Marie, Aug 16, 2001.

1. Marie

Marie Well-Known Member

OK. Does your state have business deceptive practice laws? likely.

In Georgia the Office of Consumer Affairs has full legal (criminal) authority over all credit reporting bureaus. :)

I just filed complaints against all 3 today. takes 2 mos or so to get the case going and you have to send info in the mail documenting the abuses...

But:

Not disclosing current statuses to the consumer, but reporting derogs to the creditors (EXP).

Having positive tradelines on the consumer statement but putting them in the negative creditor section (EXP)

Refusing to dispute inquiries is a violation of the FCRA (after reading it more, I'm certain). (EQ)

Missing disputes, not investigating, using the 30 days, then wanting to make you wait for a new one when you point out their errors! Ha. (ALL)

Saying "new info" but changing nothing. (ALL)

Refusing to add a consumer statement (EQ)

Trying to talk you out of a consumer statement. Then when you insist, not putting it in (EXP)

Letting warnings drop from your file after 7 years, but never telling you so you don't know to add them again! (ALL)

"verifying" items as correct when the creditor just sent a UDF for full removal. Ugh. (ALL)

The more I document these abuses, the more cases I read, the more laws I see... the more ticked I get. ;]

I think some of this just may be criminal. Certainly falls under deceptive practices.

The point is also, look at your state laws. You may have consumer reporting agency laws and you almost certainly can include these vilations as STATE violations of deceptive practices laws...

Hit them for state violations as well as Federal FCRA violations. Just thought I'd pass this along.

2. Marie

Marie Well-Known Member

vilations=violations.

vile any way you write it.

3. Marie

Marie Well-Known Member

In Ga call

404-656-3790 to start. then send your info into them at

GAOCA
    #2 MLK JR Drive
    Plaza Level E
    Suite 356
    Atlanta, Ga. 30334

4. akg

akg Well-Known Member

Marie:

I'm a fellow Georgian; I'll be interested in hearing about any results you get from the formal complaints. I might have some of my own to add to the list when I get a little further along in the dispute process.

5. breeze

breeze Well-Known Member

It's racketeering.

breeze

6. Marie

Marie Well-Known Member

I heard that sentiment used about a month ago by my mortgage broker and I thought he was too paranoid...

now it's just a statement of pure fact.

I'm writing one of the complaints now... and I'm smiling from ear to ear.