How to Find an Attorney for Fi

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by PK, Dec 23, 2000.

1. PK

PK Guest

Friends,

After struggling for a year to correct an error in my credit report, I have decided to file a suit against Chase Manhattan. I believe that in my case Chase Manhattan has violated both the Fair Credit Reporting Act and the Fair Credit Billing Act.

How do I go about finding a good attorney for my situation? I live in Atlanta, GA. The local Yellow Pages only seem to carry ads for attorneys who defend creditors' rights. I couldn't find a single ad for an attorney who is experienced in defending consumer rights related to FCRA and FCBA.

Please help.

2. sam

sam Well-Known Member

RE: How to Find an Attorney fo

Kristi? Lexington? Search around here you'll find the legal begals :) who will be glad to take your cash..

3. jason

jason Well-Known Member

I wouldn't go to Lexington for this because you'll be needing someone who can represent you in your state court (Lexington only represents its clients under the FCRA.)

You may want to contact your state bar association. Most bars have a referral service where attorneys have signed up to do certain kinds of law.

It's going to be a little tough to find an attorney with FCRA experience. I used to know one (I can't remember his name) that worked out of Tampa (I believe.) You may want to go to the library and look at the Yellow Pages for metropolitan areas nearby.

This kind of case is really a gold mine for the right attorney. Usually, they can get settlements from the creditor AND each of the three credit bureaus (if you've disputed and they've failed to make the corrections.) I've seen many credit reporting cases return very nice settlements (five to six digits.)

4. deniserich

deniserich Banned

Something I learned after filing my suit was that you can (and should) obtain an atty. that is experienced with the FCRA. You can obtain A consumer attorney anywhere in the country because it is a Federal case. They will take it on and even find there own attorney in your area to do the filing. You can go to the National Association for Consumer Advocates web site at NACA.net and do a searh. A good consumer attorney takes these cases on a contingency basis. If you want to contact me, I will be happy to give you the names of a few attorneys whose expertise is the FCRA and FDCPA, that are very experienced in this area. Good luck!

5. jason

jason Well-Known Member

That's a good idea. You're right. NACA.net is the place to go to find the right attorney. They publish all kinds of books on how to sue creditors and the bureaus under the FCRA (the books are expensive, but they rock.)

6. jason

jason Well-Known Member

I think I remembered the attorney's name:

Blake Marlow (maybe Marlowe)

Even though he's in Florida, I bet he could represent you.

7. PK

PK Guest

Thanks so much Jason and Denise for all the information and insights. Great board.

Have a great new year.