How to get FICO scores ?

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by Bill T, Nov 5, 2000.

1. Bill T

Bill T Guest

I'm interested in seeing my FICO score. Since this is devrived from a proprietory credit scoring system, and not shown in any credit reports I have seen, can I get my score without actually applying for a home loan ?

2. Momof3

Momof3 Well-Known Member

NOPE, you can only get your scores through a lender, (mortgage car loan), other than that you can't. Of course TU announced on their website that they will be releasing scores to consumers by end of tthis year.

3. pat

pat Guest

yes, and no

if you go to a mortgage broker, have your credit checked, and get "preapproved" for a loan, almost all brokers will tell you your FICO score.

They do have to do a credit check.

4. Bill T

Bill T Guest

RE: yes, and no

Thanks, Mom and Pat. Seems like Fair, Issac wants to keep its little monopoly.

BUT..... Since the FICO score is just a rehash of credit reports, it doesn't seem too hard for an enterprising outfit to reverse-engineer the algorithm. So, is there any company out there which will give me a FICO-equivalent - for a fee, of course. If not, maybe this is a business opportunity for me.

5. dave

dave Well-Known Member

RE: yes, and no

Neuristics is a company that has pioneered the credit model called CreditXpert.

Visit www.truecredit.com and order a report with the credit analysis add-on. You will receive a copy of your Experian report along with a score (0-100 I believe). That score is placed among several overlapping circles, ranging from Poor to Very good, and will give you an idea of how a lender would view your credit report. I think it's pretty accurate, as well.