how to sign the letter?

Discussion in 'Credit Talk' started by Mike, Jul 9, 2001.

1. Mike

Mike Well-Known Member

This has to rank up there with all the dumb questions.

I just finished my first validation letter and did the enclosure thing below the signature. My question is how do I say that it was sent certified and return receipt?

Any quick responses would help as I want to get this out tommorow.

Thanks all

Mike

2. Nave

Nave Well-Known Member

Not sure what you are asking...You mean, how do you put the receipt number inside the letter?

3. DaveLV

DaveLV Well-Known Member

Having the receipt for the certified mailing, the return receipt and a copy of the letter you sent is enough. You don't have to prove that they copy of the letter you are showing is the same letter you sent.

Clear as mud?

4. Mike

Mike Well-Known Member

I was referring to the stuff that you put below your signature. If there are enclosures etc. I know that I've seen this before but I can' remember the format. I don't mean the actual USPS tracking numbers, just that It was sent certified.

BTY here is the letter if anybody else could use it. I got most of it from several different posts here.

July 9, 2001
    Plaza Associates
    370 Seventh Ave.
    New York, NY 10001-3900

RE: Your letter dated 06/22/01
    Control Number xxxxxxxxxxxxx
    Account Number xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Dear Sir or Madam:

Thank you for your recent inquiry about this alleged debt. I am writing you to let you know that your claim is disputed. Please understand that this is not a refusal to pay. This is a request for validation pursuant to the Fair Debt Collections Practices Act.

In a good faith effort to resolve this matter amicably, please provide proof of this debt, specifically the alleged contract or other instrument bearing my signature, as well as proof of your authority in this matter. Absent such proof, you must terminate this collection action and correct any erroneous reports of this debt as mine.

You have 15 days from receipt of this notice to respond. Your failure to respond, on point, in writing, hand signed, and in a timely manner, will work as a waiver to any and all of your claims in this matter, and will entitle me to presume that you sent your letter(s) in error, and that this matter is permanently closed.

Sincerely,
    XXXXXXXX

Enclosure
    "What do I put here so that the dummy that gets it know that it was certified return reciept"

If anybody else can think of anything to add to the letter that would be great.

Mike

5. DaveLV

DaveLV Well-Known Member

Ah. Under the inside mailing address.

Joe's Collection Agency
    1234 Fake Avenue
    Looserville, MD 12345

VIA CERTIFIED MAIL

Dear Joe Looser:

Yadda yadda yadda...

(or VIA FACSIMILE or CARRIER PIGEON or whatever)

BTW: Where did you get the 15 day bit?

6. Nave

Nave Well-Known Member

Enclosure: XXXX
    Means that you are including XXXX with your letter.

Clear Mud...hmmmm a new invention I can work on :)

7. DaveLV

DaveLV Well-Known Member

They had Pepsi Clear and Zima.. why not clear mud?

It would probably taste better than Pepsi or Zima.

8. Mike

Mike Well-Known Member

From a letter here.

I will revise the 15 to 30 days. This could be a good thing since the SOL runs out in about a month.

Thanks Dave

Mike

9. DaveLV

DaveLV Well-Known Member

Good deal. I think there is no enforceable time limit involved. It's only that they cannot take further collection action against you until they validate. The actual FDCPA is very broad about what constitutes validation. I don't think they have to use your form or provide very detailed information.

10. godaddyo

godaddyo Well-Known Member

Put "Certified Mail #" in the upper right hand corner, depending on your format...